Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Coffee machine?
  • convert

Pretty much anywhere comes up with fancy names and doesn’t tell you the percentage of arabica will then sell hot milk drinks to cover this up.

Thing is there are quite a lot of people who like hot milk drinks that taste of coffee. I like a cappuccino at home but small and strong. A starbucks/costa version is way too milky for me. Their version of a macchiato is closer to my version of a cappuccino. Got to confess that I drink more tea out now than I used to as rubbish tea tastes better than rubbish coffee.

Going to a coffee shop is more than what you drink though isn’t it – it should be about being in a nice place (or at least a haven away from a shite place) and having a chat/ reading a good book or generally getting a moment away from the world. What I am drinking is only part of that experience.

joefm

Aeropress.

Only drink espresso and hot water if I’m out and about

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’m sure the coffee I drink from my bean to cup machine is not THE BEST IN THE WORLD. Certainly I know the beans I use have not passed through the digestive system of any animal as far as I’m aware. I’m certainly not paying a premium for the privilege of them being so.

However it is a lot nicer than instant, a lot nicer than high street chain coffee shops, a lot nicer than any caffatiere/stove top/aeropress/filter coffee I’ve ever had. At the end of the day I just want a half decent brew I enjoy and I want it at the push of a button without the faff and hassle of grinding the beans myself and processing through a machine that cost more than my bike. I’m not that much of a coffee snob. There is a cost/convenience balance here.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve had various coffee making contraptions, from filter machines and cafetierres through stovetop mokas to Bean2Cup DeLonghi monstrosities. The best, least fuss, least mess coffee I’ve had comes out of my Krups Nespresso. Tiny footprint, no faffing about, consistent quality.

If you’re not really into coffee then the Nespresso or similar are decent options. We have one for our motorhome and it’s fine for that, but for home we use one the Delonghi Bean 2 cup machines and they’ve been great.

onewheelgood

I have a 15 year old Gaggia Classic and a Sage Smart Grinder Pro. I get my beans from Monsoon Estates. I am frequently told that the coffee I make is better than that served in any high street coffee shop.

TheFlyingOx

If you’re not really into coffee

I’m into coffee. I’m just more into not fannying about every time I fancy one. There’s really not much difference, at least to my taste buds, between a bean to cup Guatemalan Cloud Forest and whatever the pearly-pink pods out of Aldi are. The advantage is I get my Aldi coffee about 5 minutes sooner.

slowster
    Free Member

Define “good”

To which the answer is not what beans were used (arabica, robusta, single estate etc. etc.), not what espresso machine or grinder was used, not how hard the water supply is or what water filter is used, not how skilled the user is, but whether you liked it. If you like very milky lattes, mochas, straight espresso, filter coffee, Nespresso, pre-ground, instant or whatever, then that is what you like.

Some people have a lot of defensiveness about their coffee preferences which you don’t see with their choice of beer, whisky or food. There is also an element of emperor’s new clothes with coffee: people thinking that they should drink a particular coffee and say that that is what they drink, because that is supposed to be a better choice rather than because it’s what they actually like. In both cases there often seems to be a need to (implicitly) denigrate other people’s preferences:

If you’re not really into coffee then the Nespresso or similar are decent options

I’m into coffee. I’m just more into not fannying about every time I fancy one… The advantage is I get my Aldi coffee about 5 minutes sooner.

We need to get away from conversations about whether someone is ‘into coffee’ (snobbery) and about how others fanny about when they make coffee (inverse snobbery), and start talking more about we like, what we’ve tried, and what we recommend others try.

A friend of mine likes a cappuccino with lots of sugar. I don’t tell him he’s wrong to prefer that; I serve him a cappuccino and give him the sugar bowl. In the past I have also given him an espresso to try: he tried it and didn’t like it.

When I said that many people who think their espresso/bean to cup machines make great coffee are over estimating how good their coffee really is, I was not seeking to criticise or denigrate them/their coffee, but to highlight the fact that because the coffee in many shops is so poor or even bad, it’s often a poor benchmark to use to assess how good is the coffee we make at home. Starbucks, Costa and Nero haven’t raised consumers’ expectations (at least not for many years), and if anything they now lower them. My advice would always be to try to find a very good local independent coffee shop – there are not many, but there are an increasing number.

With regard to espresso equipment for home use, my own experience is that you to need have at least one or more of the following:

– Very good equipment, especially the grinder. A top end grinder won’t turn bad beans into good coffee, but it greatly reduces the need to adjust the grind and dose (wasting coffee in the process). I have a weekly subscription, and the coffee sent each week is different. With an average commercial grinder, I could easily use up 50g to 100g of my 250g weekly pack just dialling in the grind and dose. Instead, with a top end grinder I just dump the bag in the hopper and usually just make one minor adjustment to the grind or dose every couple of weeks or so. If I made more adjustments to the grind, I could probably make better coffee, but I can’t be bothered and I am satisfied with what I currently drink (and I’m not sure my palate would discern the difference anyway).

– Very good beans. There is more to it than just freshly roasted and freshly ground. Some beans and blends are a lot easier to make espresso with than others, by which I mean they are a lot more forgiving of variations in the grind and dose. I once bought some of the house blend made by Square Mile coffee roasters for the Flat White/Milk Bar coffee shops in Soho, and I was amazed at how easy they were to use. So, if I had a bean to cup machine or a not particularly great grinder, I would make a point of finding and buying beans like that, even if they cost significantly more.

– Very good skills. Perseverence and practice will enable many people to develop the skills to get the best out of their equipment and the beans they use. I don’t have good skills.

Having spent all that money on equipment and having tried different types of coffee and beans, I now know that I would be quite content to do without espresso and cappuccino and could happily make do with a basic grinder and a Chemex to make filter coffee.

5plusn8
    Free Member

TBh I sort of like the look of that chemex. You can get a burr grinder and set up for about 120.

DrP

I love coffee.
    Drink loads of the stuff..

I love my bean to cup machine, a Severin S2+:

I mostly use it to make ‘coffee’ (long drink with milk) or ‘espresso’ (espresso). If I’m in a hurry, I make an expresso (chuckle..)
    It does make frothed milk, but not very well – foamy rather than silky.

It’s FAR nicer than any instant I’ve ever had.
    It’s dead easy to use – press a button, off you go.

TBH, it is very needy (I’ve posted about this before) but I suppose that’s what keeps it running (frequent cleaning/descalin etc)

We’ve a local bean roaster in the village so I go in and get a ‘cocktail’ of beans – sometimes i mix them up in the hopper etc. This not only makes nice coffees, but also varies the flavour. It’s all go in our house.

I’ve got a tassimo machine at work – also makes nice coffee, but the £per cup is greater than bean machines. The beans are probably nicer too.

So, the world’s your oyster, but I think anything that uses beans or grinds will be nicer than instant. By a long shot.

DrP

zeesaffa
    Free Member

I’ve bean using a Nespresso for a while but to be honest I cant help but think the price of the pods + delivery is a bit steep.

Recently met a local roaster (Iron & Fire) and he explained how to get the best out of fresh beans, grinder & cafetière.

It amazing – I’m addicted to the stuff now (not good I know)! They have some useful info on their website and its tue best coffee I’ve ever had! Great name too – Iron & Fire.

thorpey0
    Free Member

If you like Americano go for an Aeropress for £25 and spend the rest on a good 2nd hand burr grinder like this Rocky

Then buy good quality beans, their signature blend is a good place to start Ravecoffee

Sandwich

OP there’s a Gaggia machine here that will probably do the job. I use the company to service my Rancilio machine.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Coffee machine?’ is closed to new replies.