Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • coffee hand grinder whats good?
  • bruneep

just need to grind some beans at home for areopress at work, fed up buying bags pre ground and most of it going to waste or walk about.

anyone have a recommendation?

convert

Not a hand grinder, unless you either don’t drink much coffee or don’t value your time.

Got a porlex which is fine for a hand grinder but only use it in the van now. 2mins to grind an aeropress worth of coffee. 4 or 5 coffees a day – personally I don’t really want to spend 10 mins a day thrashing a silly little handle.

Bregante

I’ve got one of these at home which I use to grind beans to take to work for use in my aeropress. Not a hand powered one obviously but I’ve had it about two years and it’s fine. Noisy little bugger though.

kcal

I have as above – mine’s a Melitta. I bought it after getting fed up of hand grinder. That was in 1983 I think, still going. It is noisy. On the plus side, you’ve more time for drinking the stuff.

I tend to buy a muckle bag of beans (or two) in either Real Foods (when in Edinburgh) or MacBeans (when in Aberdeen).

hautgrimpeur
    Free Member

Zassenhaus are pretty much the gold standard of hand grinders I think. Tool steel burrs should last a life time. I like mine. I have a porlex for travelling but I agree it takes a lot of winding so not an every day object for me.

Cougar

Not a hand grinder, unless you either don’t drink much coffee or don’t value your time.

I’ve got a beautiful hand grinder, it’s a work of art.

I’ve used it maybe twice, it takes about a week to make a cup of coffee. Great coffee mind, but really, you want an electric burr grinder. (I’m impoverised so buy ground coffee instead.)

thenorthwind

Hario Skerton for me. Seems to be the go-to entry level hand grinder. I grind once or twice a day at work. Doesn’t bother me. If you’re time-poor, do it while you’re waiting for the kettle to boil. Been good so far. Better at fine grind for espresso than coarse (more consistent).

bruneep

I have B2C at home, just need to grind for taking for a couple of aeropress coffees to work I can live with 2min grind to take to work.

porlex looks good being all metal, newer Zassenhaus seem to have a plastic body and seem to suffer from static.

MrSmith
    Free Member

That Krups one is a blade not burr grinder so just smashes the beans to different size particles instead of grinding finely (which is what you want)

Rhino if you want a hand grinder as the handle is better than a porlex, cheap but good electric then a baratza. More budget then mahlkonig as its small (but Swiss made expensive)

lemonysam
    Free Member

I have a rhinowares for work, it grinds well and consistently at both ends of its range. I can grind a cups worth in almost exactly the same time as the kettle takes to boil. The handle is much better than the Porlex

I’ve had it about 9 months averaging about two cups a day and it’s still more or less as new.

maccruiskeen

I’ve used it maybe twice, it takes about a week to make a cup of coffee. Great coffee mind, but really, you want an electric burr grinder.

Undo the little nut that holds the handle and grip the spindle with the chuck of a drill driver. Manlier, funnier and quieter than an electric grinder.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Unless you specifically want a hand one for travelling with (I do, its great) a basic Krups or Delonghi burr grinder will be good enough for Aeropress in my experience, especially if your current benchmark is pre-ground!

dmorts

I have a Hario Mini for use with my aeropress.

Great, apart from if anyone else wants a cup of coffee too.

dmorts

Also this isn’t a grinder, it’s a basher

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Electric grinder and grind enough for the day whilst doing breakfast then carry to work in a plastic airtight container.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Zassenhaus Lima:

quite tricky to actually hold still enough to get a good rhythm going…

300 turns of the handle is enough to fill a 4cup stove-top.

(this is possibly the closest i get to exercise these days)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘coffee hand grinder whats good?’ is closed to new replies.