Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Coffee grinder
  • Innes
    Free Member

Has anyone used one of these grinders? De’Longhi KG79 Professional Burr Grinder

I don’t want to spend a massive amount on a grinder, but I do want something that works well.

This is another on I noticed for a bit more money, is it worth spending more? Cuisinart Professional Burr Coffee Mill

Thanks.

leffeboy

oo, I’d love to know that answer to that as well. Unfortunately you are more likely to be told to go and buy an Iberital MC2 from the donkey shop as that is now the standard answer. Love to find something cheaper

allthegear
    Free Member

Not much help to you but..

Was sat in the coffee shop this morning and their grinder had broken; they were telling people as they walked in that they couldn’t do coffee. Anyway, some guy replies “oh, can I have a Cappuccino, instead?”

:-/

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Well for that sort of budget – you’re a bit limited.

However – if you’re a bit adventerous this link will turn a cheap (£35 ish) grinder into a much better one – but it null and voids any warranty.

It’s given here as specific to a Starbucks Barista – but that’s just a rebranded krupps, and braun, and lots of others. They all look the same.

http://www.ineedcoffee.com/07/hack-starbucks-grinder/

Note that mine died after 8 years of thrice daily grinds. My other half then got me one from ‘hungy donkey’ (?) that cost 4 times as much but just does the same job with no mods.

Others will be along to flame me in a minute!

#edit – the iberital (??) from the donkey crew feels much better quality to be fair. It will probably last well past 8 years. It is LOUD though.

Anyway – any Q’s – let us know

organic355
    Free Member

We’ve got a KRUPPS burr grinder and it works fine, think it was around £80 though.

EDIT: just checked amazon and it looks like the “expert” one at £37, not sure of model number though

convert

A porlex hand grinder is the same money – much more effort but better results. Only recommend for small quantities at time though.

donsimon
    Free Member

More object d’art than anything.

The mutts nuts.

Innes
    Free Member

Quite a few reviews of the electric grinders seems to say that it is hard to get a fine grind, that porlex hand grinder may be a good option.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I got one of the Iberital grinders for a birthday present, its good but bloody noisy and its pretty slow at grinding and the timer is a waste of time IMHO.

epicsteve
    Free Member

We’ve got one of the Krupps £40 or so burr grinders and it’s been fine – no complaints.

TooTall
    Free Member

I won’t touch Krupps again. Had one of their filter machines – died after a month. Had a grinder – died after a month.

Davesport

I don’t want to spend a massive amount on a grinder, but I do want something that works well.

😕

It’s difficult to recommend something other than the grinder I own, as that’s all I know. Rancilio Rocky It grinds to the consistency of talcum powder if required, for Turkish coffee etc.

Most “burr” grinders should be OK. The ones to avoid are the ones with the spinning blades that simply smash the beans up. It’s the ability to grind to a consistently fine texture that separates the great grinders out from the OK ones. If you’re grinding for espresso either of the above will be able to cope. Avoid grinders that come fitted with a doser unless you’re using it frequently. The unused grounds trapped in the doser loose their flavour if left for any length of time.

D.

hjghg5
    Free Member

I’ve been using that one for over a year and it’s far better than buying Pre-ground coffee. I don’t know how it compares to more expensive grinders because I’ve never had one, but it’s more than good enough for me.

boblo
    Free Member

@davesport. Mrs Boblo bought me a doserless Rocky for xmas. Do you grind upi small batches or for each pull? I haven’t used mine (or tken it out of the box) hence the daft question. 🙂

Davesport

Boblo.

I grind fresh, straight into the portafilter for each pull. The only exception would be if I’m grinding beans for the Cafetiere. In which case I grind up a batch & then refrigerate in a sealed poly box 😀

You’re on the path :mrgreen:

D.

boblo
    Free Member

Thanks, that’s what I thought.

On the path…? Yeah don’t I know it. I’ve had a Sylvia for a few years and one of the cheaper burr grinders. Mrs Boblo obviously thought I’d been a good boy this year hence the treat…

I really fancy one of those multi group machines you see in cafes but that’d cost me £100’s k’s as I’d need a new kitchen which would mean a new house…. I’d have to be a very good boy for that to happen 🙂

TooTall
    Free Member

straight into the portafilter for each pull

You have a stopwatch so you can grind the same quantity each time?

a sealed poly box

Plastic? With coffee? Oh no!

😉

grahamofredmarley
    Free Member

I use an Ascaso which grinds fine enough for my Gaggia factory lever machine, bit noisy but not for long. Good value machine IMHO.

simonbowns
    Free Member

i may well be selling a gaggia MM soon…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Coffee grinder’ is closed to new replies.