Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Coffee allergy?
  • donsimon
    Free Member

More specifically Aldi decaf! I have no problems with coffee in general but Aldi decaf seems to kick off my asthma…
    Who else is allergic to coffee or has strange allergies?

iDave
    Free Member

What has Aldi decaff got to do with coffee?

donsimon
    Free Member

Buggered if I know and I’m buggered if I know the difference between this and Sainsbury crappy decaf!

Trekster

Would call it an intolerance rather than an allergy but I cut out coffee and chocolate at the beginning of the year to try and get rid of a cough I have had for over 2yrs. Docs and consultants at the hospital had me on all sorts of meds etc which were having no effect. Off my own accord and after the onslaught of a coughing fit that inhalers had no effect on I came to the conclusion that it may have been the 2-3 cups of coffee I had consumed. Since then I have cut out coffee, KitKats and all other chocolate products and my cough has gone. I can have the odd coffee or biscuit but can feel the symptoms hovering.

donsimon
    Free Member

I drink coffee regularly without problems, Aldi junk and I’m wheezing like a bad ‘un. 😛

emac65
    Free Member

Decaf gives me splitting headaches…….

allmountainventure
    Free Member

I gave up coffee/caffeine (even decaf has cafeine) a few weeks ago. Havent slept so well in years.

Have a read of this..

😐

TooTall
    Free Member

decaf – warm brown water. Nearly as daft as diet caffine free coke.

molgrips
    Free Member

Decaf is coffee without most of the caffeine. It’s still coffee. Good decaf tastes just fine and is enjoyable, and useful if you really fancy a coffee but don’t want to drug yourself.

Don – IIRC there are two ways to decaffeinate coffee. One uses steam, one uses a solvent. The solvent makes the coffee taste worse so it’s hardly used any more – perhaps your Aldi stuff has traces of this substance in it and this is the problem.

wallop

Caffeine withdrawal is seriously one of the most miserable experiences ever. The headache usually lasts a week for me, and you just can’t shift it (without having a cup of coffee!).

RealMan
    Free Member

Avoided getting into coffee and tea and such. Think I’ve had a cup or two of tea in my life, and tried coffee but never had a whole cup. Just see so many people who seem to be practically dependent on it, I’d rather not end up like that.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s not particularly addictive though RM. You have to really drink a lot to get to the point where you need it.

I drink coffee cos I love it – only one or two cups a day tho, and I am not dependent. Don’t get headaches if I don’t have any but I do miss it.

donsimon
    Free Member

perhaps your Aldi stuff has traces of this substance in it and this is the problem.

There’s clearly something in this particular brand.

Just see so many people who seem to be practically dependent on it,

What you have here is a dumbed down version of coffee, it’s not strong.

emac65
    Free Member

Caffeine withdrawal is seriously one of the most miserable experiences ever. The headache usually lasts a week for me, and you just can’t shift it (without having a cup of coffee!).

Pretty sure I don’t get headaches because of the lack of caffeine in it as I can go for a week or more without coffee & having a full fat coffee doesn’t get rid of the pain either…

molgrips
    Free Member

Try expensive decaf real ground coffee (ie not instant). Might make a difference.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I drink coffee regularly without problems, Aldi junk and I’m wheezing like a bad ‘un.

Simples. Don’t drink Aldi coffee. 😀 Asthma is/can be random though – mine atm seems to flare up for odd/random reasons or allergies that don’t normally bother me.

I didn’t think i had an addiction (usually only have 1 coffee a day but 2 at the weekends) but can only go about 24 hours before I start to get a headache from not having any.

*slurps latte*

<hijack thread – DS, my bf and I are touring from Lisbon – Madrid soon, can you recommend anywhere to stay/eat? </hijack thread>

donsimon
    Free Member

DGOAB, What are you looking for? I can point you in the direction of areas rather than specific hotels.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Nothing specific in mind – we plan to stay in hotels, hostels and camp but haven’t planned anything yet (other than start and finish point). Good area recommendations would be good – also places to avoid would be useful!

peterfile
    Free Member

Caffeine withdrawal is seriously one of the most miserable experiences ever.

You’ve had quite an easy life eh? 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

There’s the vibrant nightlife with lots of bars and narrow streets of Malasaña/Chueca. This is an area of Madrid I like, narrow streets, small bars and restaurants little plazas etc. Hotels are more likely to be hostal type and a bit more Spanish.
    Gran Via and Calle Fuencarral are areas I think I’d stay away from. Others to stay away from would be Embajadores or La Latina. They’re fine for shopping and during the day, less attractive returning to the hotel at the end of the day (druggies, street prostitution and the occasional pickpocket/mugging).
    Around Atocha, Retiro, Alonso Martinez or even Serrano would be OK and pretty central. Larger corporate hotels here and closer to touristy things like museums.
    If you want a quieter life then San Lorenzo de Escorial is out of the city with an excellent rail link.
    it’s quite a small city with an excellent public transport network so there isn’t going to be a problem staying on the outskirts and travelling in for sight seeing duties, if that’s your bag.
    If you find a specific hotel/hostal stick it on here and I’ll try and give you a bit more info.
    I did that without the slightest bit of jealousy too. 😀

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

cool, thanks for that 🙂 planning to book somewhere in the next few days so may ask for more info at some point.

donsimon
    Free Member

No probs.

emac65
    Free Member

Try expensive decaf real ground coffee (ie not instant). Might make a difference.

Mainly drink coffee to get me through nightshifts,so decaf wouldn’t really be of any use to me.Plus it’s a bit like buying alcohol free beer innit….. 8)

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Coffee allergy?’ is closed to new replies.