Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Coed y Brenin , tyres? Maxxis Monorail bad idea?
  • brungle
    Free Member

Our group are riding CyB at the weekend for the first time, I think we are doing a mashup of mainly Dragon’s Back but cutting the 6mile fire road bit out and doing the Beast from there.

anyway… I’ve currently got a pair of Maxxis Monorail 2.1 on my Marin wolf ridge, am I going to kill myself? if so what else should I be using?

thanks

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

If they are round they will do just fine

GaryLake
    Free Member

Coed-y-Brenin is not particularly tyre fussy from my memory. I’d generally be more worried about sidewall protection and the width of the tyre than its tread profile tbh.

I’m surprised you’re running 2.1 Monorails on a Wolf Ridge in general though…

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Trail centre – you dont have to make any choices, that’s what they are for.

brungle
    Free Member

the reason I’m running the 2.1 Monorails tyres is because they were a bit of a cheap impulse buy at a local shop and I generally don’t have a clue about tyres.. 🙁

what tyre would you expect me to be using?

thanks

GaryLake
    Free Member

You can run what you want but the Wolf Ridge is a bit of a monster bike and the 2.1 monorails are neither wide or particularly aggressive.

I’d be looking to stick a Hans Dampf on the front and a Nobby Nic on the back personally (they’d add a lot of weight and drag but you’d be able to use the bike properly going down). Depends on what kind of riding you do of course but as I said, the Wolf Ridge is pretty hardcore.

I assume it’s a bit like this:

Or is it an older style one?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

it may be a trail centre but the rocks are a nightmare with a sniff of moisture on them. i did dragons tail / back whatever its called with 2.2 wire beaded mountain kings. or rather, the trail did me a few times!

Clobber
    Free Member

Last time I was there I ran EXO advantages and they seemed great to me…

brungle
    Free Member

this is it (when I had old school panaracer xc tyres on it):

to be honest the main riding I do is trail centres, Gisburn forest is my local. I do find the monorails pretty thin and they are crap in the mud so regret buying them..

Northwind

Be fairly well suited tbh- the trails are grippy and the tyres will help you up the fire roads, of which there are several hundred miles. You could certainly make use of more grip but you won’t absolutely require it. Brilliant place, CYB, love it…

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

the rocks are a nightmare with a sniff of moisture on them.

not in my experience – not much limestone used in trail centre building for just that reason.

I’m no riding God, but I’ve never struggled for grip at CyB.

martinhutch

I’ll look out for you. I’ll be the one lying at the bottom of any rocky section with a Racing Ralph spinning forlornly to my side.

brungle
    Free Member

We did the full dragons back in the end and the monorails did just fine, it was red hot so trails were very dry and quick, great trail centre.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Coed y Brenin , tyres? Maxxis Monorail bad idea?’ is closed to new replies.