Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Coed Trallwm anyone?
  • bowglie

I gather there's a small privately run 'trail centre' there – Any STWers been there? If so, what's it like?

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Rented one of the cottages over this New Year, the area is really lovely but the trail was under a foot of snow. Rode there about 5 years ago and although it's a bit short, the surrounding area has a massive network of riding so worth a trip IMO.

swainey
    Free Member

i rode there in the summer it cost £2 and was a waste of money!!

redx

My parents rented one of the cottages for a week last year when my brother came back from Australia for a holiday. The routes are fairly tame but are good for a short blast, but the place is a good base for some longer natural routes if you get the map out.

To be fair the guys who run the forest built the trails themselves so they don't match proper trail centres as there weren't the resources available. I probably wouldn't travel there to just ride the trails, but it's a good base for some big days out….

rOcKeTdOg

they opened the Tea shop just for us when we went, we did the blue/red/black trails back to back, some fun bits but not a trail centre by any means

steveh

I've been once as well, it was a fun day out. A couple of trails 5km each, not massively built so wet/muddy/rooty in places. Like I said a fun days riding.

Ambrose

As all the above- but the overiding feature is the amazing position. If you like the usual cloned trail centre experience then this is NOT the place for you. If you are self-reliant and like wild open spaces- this is a brilliant place to work out from.

The link below is to an article I wrote a while back, before the centre was built. Coed Trallwm to Rhiwnant is a long but rewarding trip. There are lots of long return routes, the guide advises the shortest and best of them that is rideable/ findable/ feasible by mortals. It's a good day out. Dry weather is a definate plus, the ground on the tops can be taxing.

http://www.offroadadventures-online.com/rr049.html

timber

as most above have pointed out, it isn't a big setup, but quite natural and a good start/finish for something quite epic

Coed Trallwm is privately family owned, no government or corporation backing like the majority of trail centres, so not quite the same resources, but having a good go, bit at a time.

I would stop in to break up a journey, but not worth a day visit unless you're planning an epic

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Good place to base yourself as the surrounding natural riding is fantastic.
    The trails themselves are pretty good, especially considering they have been built privately. But not worth travelling to just for the trails themselves when Nant yr Arian or Brechfa are in a similar area.

bowglie

Thanks for all the feedback, I particularly like the sound of this…

If you like the usual cloned trail centre experience then this is NOT the place for you. If you are self-reliant and like wild open spaces- this is a brilliant place to work out from.

It sounds just the sort of thing we're looking for. We're looking for somewhere different for a long weekend spring break, so will give it a go in March/April & hope for decent weather. Cheers 🙂

phiiiiil

I did a ride a couple of years ago that started at Coed Trallwm, headed eastwards and down the Doethie Valley (ace!), around Llyn Brianne and back to Coed Trallwm. It was an absolutely top ride.

cuckoo
    Free Member

Included it as part of a natural route i was doing in the area last summer. The trails at Trallwm weren't upto much to be honest but the cafe and tea shop was great although it opens a bit late.

As others have said some great natural riding in the area. The bridleway down to Capel Soar y Mynydd was one of the highlights for me.

molgrips
    Free Member

Doethie valley is a must-see to be honest.

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Dont bother its usually boggy and too short for much fun

molgrips
    Free Member

Beautiful…

Ambrose

Frogleek- you must have missed the best bits. Doethie is kinda' special IMHO.

Stoner
    Free Member

the Doethie and Irfon vallies are the most beautiful places in the nation south of Hadrians wall. Its my "special place" when I need some space.

Trallwm is on a circular route that you could take that takes in the Elan valley lakes, a bothy at it's head and the drovers road back down from Strata Florida. A great epic. You can find the route on the site Ambrose linked to I think.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Coed Trallwm anyone?’ is closed to new replies.