Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cocker spaniels
  • harryflashman
    Free Member

I know the pros and cons of riding with dogs have been done to death around here, but I am specifically wondering whether anyone has any experience with cocker spaniels, and whether they take to running alongside a bike?

We are picking our new pup up soon and eventually I would really like him to come along with me on rides. Up till recently we had an irish terrier who was brilliant, never stopped in front or veered towards the wheels/chainset.

Any opinions/experience?

bobbyspangles

i would think that every dog is different?

Stu661
    Free Member

I have a cocker and to be fair have only ever taken him riding twice and he was ok if he did lag behind abit to busy sniffing. But thats just the way he his, he never takes his noise of the ground.

Like bobbyspangles said all dogs are different.

Gooner
    Free Member

should be ok but cockers are “hunters” and instinctively chase scent rather than follow a bike

Big-Pete
    Free Member

If its a working cocker you should have a great trail dog, as long as its not too batty.

carbon337
    Free Member

A long as your not expecting a mini springer, they have equal if not more madness. I have experience of both and the working cockers are more bonkers. All are different though but for riding my springer was ace and I wouldn’t consider either of the 2 wc’s

andyl
    Free Member

yeah should be fine. But obviously no trails while it is still a puppy and be aware that a spaniel will keep on going until it dies so know your dogs limits, build up gradually and carry food and water for it.

When it gets older consider joint care products and if you ride with it a lot then make sure you give it decent food.

harryflashman
    Free Member

Cheers guys, I have no intention of taking the pup out with the bike for at least another year so no worries there.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

I have two working ones. I don’t take them out on the bike very often but they are fine when I do. Started out running with them on the lead first. They soon got the hang of not diving in front of me. Then on to the bike still using the lead. Older one is fine off the lead but the younger one (2) is still a bit flighty at times and can get distracted.

There will be better trail dogs out there, the hunting instinct is hard (actually impossible) to totally overcome but they are intelligent and willing but as someone has already said they will run themselves into the ground. Need to carry something like digestive biscuits or something to get their blood sugar back up.

They do have a great charm though and are brighter than most.

br
    Free Member

We’ve a working cocker and I take him at least once a week for a ‘dog run’ – 12 mile round trip.

I find him a brilliant dog as a cycle companion, he will not let us out of his sight – and whatever the distraction (fox, deer, anything with feathers) as soon as I shout and start riding he’s back in front. But he has NO road-sense, whatsoever.

Be warned though, plenty of exercise makes a ‘substantial’ dog, he’s twice the size of his sisters.

EDIT

As for age, I started with him when he was about 9 months, but only a couple of miles, with plenty of breaks – and as for food, he eats anything we do, including bananas.

andyl
    Free Member

That is a beautiful dog!

We’ve got a springer and I quite fancy getting a field spaniel at some point. Our springer is the same when she spots something she is on it but one shout from me and she stops dead in her tracks and comes back – has saved many a small furry! When riding in proper trails with other people I get her to stick to the trail – in front or behind me. When it’s just the two of us I give her more freedom and let her choose her own line through the forest. Puts you in your place when you think you are gunning it and the dog can catch and pass you.

One more thing to the OP: Watch their paws – try to avoid gravel etc at high speed.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I have two Cockers, the male is dim and would stick his nose in the spokes, the bitch is too interested in squirrels and birds in bushes and any other scent worth following. Just as another aside my bitch who I walked miles and miles has worn out her pads at the age of nine and a half, so beware of what surface you run her on regularly!
    My next dog will be a coach dog type that is bred for running to keep me company.
    Cockers-fantastic family pet though..

sprocker
    Free Member

I have got one and he is fine till he gets a scent then I have to ride around for an hour trying to find him. Great dog though think i am just to soft on him, he will run all day like uphillcursing I carry a bag of broken biscuits.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cocker spaniels’ is closed to new replies.