Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Cockapoos – good breeders in Scotland/North of England?
  • Shackleton

Having agonised over which breed for a good few years now we think a Cockapoo would best suit our particular situation. We are having trouble finding a (reputable) breeder within a days roundtrip so that we can visit as many as possible to see what the parents and litters are like.

We are based in Dundee and the nearest breeder that we have found who ticks the boxes in terms of PRA testing, etc. is in Lincoln! Can anybody recommend a breeder from personal experience in Scotland or the north of England?

(EDIT: there is a breeder in Dundee but he appears to be non-communicative and rather rude and doesn’t allow visits to see what his dogs are like!)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Google ‘mongrels’.

😀

sandwicheater

http://www.pets4homes.co.uk/ is a good starting point and then you can do some research on the breeder. It’s how we found our dog.

They didn’t mind giving us contact details for previous litter owners to check up on any problems.

rewski
    Free Member

Cumbria any good?
    http://www.cockapooclubgb.co.uk/ccgb-approved-breeders.html

Lovely natured dogs, we got ours from a breeder in Kent so not helpful I’m afraid. Ours is over a year old now, a rather large black Cockerpoo called Mitch, he’s great with the kids, they’re quite anxious dogs and don’t like being left alone. Bags of energy so great on the trails with the bike. Will post some pics later.

rewski
    Free Member

Google ‘mongrels’.

Then google ‘pedigree’ and ‘genetic diseases’

iolo
    Free Member

http://www.scottishspca.org/rehoming/category/dogs

There you go. Get a lovely dog from here. Or pay crazy money for a lovely dog from a breeder.

Shackleton

Cheer folks.

I must admit I had seen pets4homes but the inner snob recoiled from the use of a number instead of the word (like phones 4u…. ). It just didn’t give the impression of respectability and responsibility I’d like to see in dog breeders. But if it is actually ok I’ll take it more seriously.

Shackleton

Iolo – if it weren’t for our particular home situation I’d be more than happy to rehome a dog. Unfortunately I think we probably need to start box fresh without any existing traits and behaviours that could cause problems. I know it isn’t certain but in our situation I don’t think the risk is worth it.

sandwicheater

I suspect there are some nasty breeders on the site so we did as much checking as possible. Visited the breeder, met the parents and visited a couple of the previous litters owners. May have been slight overkill but I think everyone was really cool about it.

We got a lab/springer cross.

[/url]Bramble by sandwicheater1, on Flickr[/img]

willjones
    Free Member

Don’t discount the Spoodle! Springer/poodle.

Local vet reckons that in crossing poodles with spaniels we’ve inadvertantly stumbled across the most resilient, intelligent, predictable and best natured dogs around. From our sample of one I’d be inclined to agree with all of that. Apart from the intelligent bit.

Winnie came from a dodgy estate outside Nottingham, but we met the parents etc.

if it weren’t for our particular home situation I’d be more than happy to rehome a dog. Unfortunately I think we probably need to start box fresh without any existing traits and behaviours that could cause problems. I know it isn’t certain but in our situation I don’t think the risk is worth it.

+1 . And it works both ways: we couldn’t find a place that would rehome a suitable dog to a house with kittens and very small children.

iolo
    Free Member

Why was it being rehomed?

willjones
    Free Member

iolo – if you’re talking to me, then I’m afraid we had to get Winnie as a puppy (see above). I do know now though that the police often seek to rehome working lab/springer crosses that aren’t making the cut, which we would have considered. But again, only if they would let the dog into a household with other pets and babies.

br
    Free Member

We’ve got two ‘working’ Spaniels, one was bought as a pup from a local (when we lived down south) breeder and the other was a re-home from our (now) local rescue centre.

First one cost in excess of £400, the second was £40.

The second one was actually breed at the centre, they also breed ‘working’ dogs and the first owner changed jobs (from working on a local estate to been office-bound) and he’d only limited space at home.

Both are great dogs.

Within driving for Dundee, give them a call and ask for Tom.

http://www.arthurshielrescuecentre.co.uk/

andyl
    Free Member

(EDIT: there is a breeder in Dundee but he appears to be non-communicative and rather rude and doesn’t allow visits to see what his dogs are like!)

I’m sure you know this but ALWAYS buy from somewhere you can meet both parents and see what they are like.

My first choice is never ever buy a dog. Get a rescue. Obviously this can be difficult for a specific cross unlike a pedigree which often have specific charities like the NWESSR or mongrels you can get at any rehoming centre.

You could pop into your local vets and ask if they have any breeders that are clients. Or is there an owners club you could ask on?

That springer/poodle looks awesome! I like my springers but I do quite like poodles and the hair thing is a bonus.

theotherjonv

Local vet reckons that in crossing poodles with spaniels we’ve inadvertantly stumbled across the most resilient, intelligent, predictable and best natured dogs around. From our sample of one I’d be inclined to agree with all of that. Apart from the intelligent bit.

Our family friend, also a vet (now sadly departed us) said the same.

And definite +1 to the incredibly intelligent but equally stupid bit.

Not sure though about ‘anxious’ dogs that don’t like being left alone. Ours has been left since young and is perfectly happy. We kept her crated for about 9 months, then left the crate open but restricted to the kitchen, now she just has a basket in the kitchen (but still restricted) while we’re out. She just uses the time alone to recharge her batteries so she can then be full of energy when we get back.

rewski
    Free Member

Not sure though about ‘anxious’ dogs that don’t like being left alone. Ours has been left since young and is perfectly happy. We kept her crated for about 9 months, then left the crate open but restricted to the kitchen, now she just has a basket in the kitchen (but still restricted) while we’re out.

Funny you mention that, we’ve just started leaving Mitch out of the crate and he seems happier, he’s only left for 30 mins max whilst my wife does school pick up.

theotherjonv

we left the crate as a safe place to start with, but she didn’t use it so in the end we did away with it completely.

We know she’s happy because to start with we used to sneak back (had to park 100 yards up the road as she recognises the car engine) and look at her asleep through the kitchen window. Often flat on her back with 4 legs up in the air. Not the posture of a restless, anxious dog.

mangoridebike

OP – we got our cockapoo from Edinburgh, I can’t remember the name of the breeder, but I’ll ask my wife when I get home. Drop me an email and I’ll send the info through when I can

Mike-E

OP – we contacted a breeder near Brechin but go no answer (same one as you?). We got our cockapoo pup from a breeder in Whitby, North Yorks. Bit of a trek from East Lothian but worth it. Can dig out their details when I get home from work tonight if you’re interested.

Shackleton

Mangoridebike – cheers, will drop you an email, thanks very much.

Mike-E – breeder details would be great, thank you. Happy to travel and Whitby isn’t that far.

br
    Free Member

I’m sure you know this but ALWAYS buy from somewhere you can meet both parents and see what they are like.

Very rare you can meet BOTH parents, as normally the dog is brought ‘in’.

rewski
    Free Member

Check which breed of poodle too, I can’t remember which Mitch is but he’s quite big and very spaniel like, we’ve met some very small and very poodle.

Shackleton

We were thinking an F1 cocker / miniature poodle cross rather than toy poodle. Would rather have as much spaniel as possible in there so don’t want poodle F1b either but spaniel F1b will probably lose many of the desirable poodle traits. F2 will be a bit pot luck in terms of traits.

Mike-E

Shackleton, we got our tricolour ‘phantom’ F1b pup from the following breeder via pets4homes – she doesn’t have a separate website. Would recommend; good pre- and post-sale advice and service and all relevant vet checks and DNA certificates provided. We met our pup’s mum and dad too when we went to collect.

Vicki Flemington – Vicklou Poodles and Cockapoos

http://www.pets4homes.co.uk/responsive/classifieds/908856-showtype-miniature-cockapoos-dna-clear-whitby.html

Shackleton

Much obliged Mike. Maybe a poodle F1b isn’t as “poodle” as I thought. Cheers!

Mike-E

I’m no expert but I’d say the spaniel character is very much to the fore with ours. For years I’d resisted getting a dog but absolutely no regrets now – she is a great addition to the family.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Cockapoos – good breeders in Scotland/North of England?’ is closed to new replies.