Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Coast to Coast recommend a route
  • quentinfarquar
    Free Member

This year I am finally going to do a Coast to Coast ride, I’m sick of saying I will. So I have my first marathon in May and then planning to do this June time. I am keen to do St Bee’s to Robin Hoods route, so what is the best route to do and is there a book or site I can get the info and route from and start to plan the trip.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

The C2C Sustrans route is worth a look, plus you get to see the proper north. 😉

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/what-we-do/national-cycle-network/long-distance-rides/england/sea-to-sea-c2c#387043,517542

singletracksurfer

the Sustrans is road & cyclepath though – not ‘proper’ off road.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Ah, if you know where you’re going there’s loads of proper off roading.

Plus, I don’t think the OP asked it to be? I could be mistaken though.

the-muffin-man

This Tim Woodcock one is the recognised MTB route as it follows the Wainwright walking route as close as possible, but there are many variations on it nowadays….

Woodcock Book

quentinfarquar
    Free Member

Yer I have looked at the book, and I think that is the route I would like to do. Are there any tips or changes you would make to the book route. What about overnighting?

uplink
    Free Member

Are there any tips or changes you would make to the book route

I’d find another route around Shap Fells

the-muffin-man

Re overnighting, the simple option is to use these people…

Home Page

…we used them when we did it 6 years ago and everything went very smoothly.

The other option is to work out how far you think you can ride each day and book B&B’s in the place you’ll finish the day.

Or you carry your full kit and camp of course!

singletracksurfer

sorry, yeah, was just stating it wasn’t ‘proper’ off road if that’s what they wanted.

I’m also planning to do this, avoiding Shap Fell/Mosedale), but what is the best alternative?

1 – Long Sleddale
    2 – bridleway north from Mosedale cottage or even
    3 – Gatescarth Pass, along Haweswater res

Ringo
    Free Member

I did it last year carrying all my own gear, I have ot on gps if that’s any help can also recommend a few places to stay email in profile

quentinfarquar
    Free Member

Ringo, how long did it take you. We fancy doing it that way so it’s more of an adventure.

gazc
    Free Member

got a pdf of the woodcock route will mail you it 🙂

did it on my own last year carrying all my own gear. yeah mosedale is a bit boggy and a trek in places, but it’s all part of the fun of biking IMO

gazc
    Free Member

actually if you would like it could you mail me as your email isn’t on your profile?

Ringo
    Free Member

I did it singlespeed, over 4 and a bit days, the part at the start through the lake district was tough because it pissed down, a lot of hike a bike through muddy wet ground and crossing what seemed like rivers. After I had got to the tan hill inn it was easy from then on. Will do it again but if the weather is bad I would miss out the lake passes and take the detour to keswick

johnny63

Gaz / Ringo,

was thinking about doing this as well.

would it be possible you could email me your pdf / gps as well

email is johnDOTbogues@talk21DOTcom

Thanks

gazc
    Free Member

johnny63 – ygm! 🙂

whitesox
    Free Member

get up here to Inverness do the shortest but most scenic C2C in Scotland Bonar Bridge west to Ullapool only 40 miles , we do it every August have night out in lovely Ullapool and back next day….a bit rough after few beers

quentinfarquar
    Free Member

Gaz, thanks for the mail. We are hoping to get to St Bee’s the night before after work, then start riding early the next day carrying our own gear with a hope to finish is 4 days, with enough time on the 4th day for a family pickup.

What’s the view to daily milage, and if anyone has done it in 4 days or even 3, where did they bed down for the night.

Thanks

uplink
    Free Member

3 days is hard going IMO

YHAs are plentiful on the route

Kirkby Stephen
    Grinton
    Osmotherley

There’s also the Dales Biking Centre

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Coast to Coast recommend a route’ is closed to new replies.