Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Coast to coast info
  • dawson

I’m thinking of doing the coast to coast. I’m not bothered about trying to do it non-stop, probably looking at 3 or 4 days.

I’m used to doing rides in the Peak i.e. Jacobs ladder and Cut gate etc and I sometimes get nearer to 50 milers on local (flatter) rides.

Anybody have some pointers?
    I have started looking at http://www.c2c-guide.co.uk for ideas.

MrOvershoot

The site you mentioned is good, mate has done it twice in a couple of days and once in a day into a headwind!

paul4stones

My wife and 11 other ladies did it a couple of weeks ago in 3 days. They were a varied bunch, some hadn’t ridden for years, some do sub 30 mins on a hilly 10 mile TT but they all managed. They went down Allendale to Hexham and finished down the Tyne valley rather than go through Consett because they’d heard tales of locals throwing stones at them (and because there’s a particular tea shop in Corbridge they like).

They stayed at Greystoke in a fab place and Allenheads in the pub. Some stayed at ‘The Mansion’ in Whitehaven the night before they set off. Named by someone with a sense of humour. I wouldn’t . . .

I’ve done it in a day – it’s fine and the last 40 miles is pretty much downhill all the way. I did it on a 29er with cx tyres on – if I did it again I’d be on a ‘cross bike I think.

Also it’s very popular and busy with cyclists. That may be good or bad depending on your viewpoint.

HTH

dawson

ta folks – useful stuff

bland

The C2C is a 2 day job, the Coast to Coast (to robin hoods bay) offroad is a different affair, that will take 5 days at least with moderate fitness and its a lot tougher

Mounty_73

We are doing it in a few weeks over 3 days, its all booked up now…doing it for fun, so records will be broken 😉

With a mixture of both on and off road, depending on the weather…

Day 1 Whitehaven to Kirkoswald, Penrith

Day 2 Kirkoswald to Rookhope

Day 3 Rookhope to Sunderland

The c2c site pretty much has everything you need, I have the map and small guide book which is very useful.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

There are many other variations, and I assume harder routes?

A mate of mine is doing St Bees to Robin Hoods Bay and taking 6 days, so I assume the terrain is much harder?

paul4stones

That’s the offroad coast to coast referred to above.

uplink
    Free Member

We did the Tim Woodcock off-road one in 4 hard days

http://www.mbruk.co.uk/mbruk_CoastToCoast_details.htm

The C2C [by comparison] is much easier, if that’s what you’re looking for and can be done in 1.5-2 days by experienced cyclists

GlitterGary
    Free Member

The C2C is a nice ride and there’s lots of interesting things to see along the way, especially on the Consett to Sunderland stretch – the transformers near Consett, the JCB cows at Beamish, and the Lambton Worm bit, which you can ride along, just on the edge of Chester le Street. Oh, the Grey Horse pub in Consett is right next to the track too. 😉

You can also do a Hadrian’s Wall ride a bit further north which is a quite decent for a pootle.

postierich
    Free Member

Do the mans route here are a few pics to inspire 😉
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/nzrich/sets/72157624943948623/

Are we nearly there yet! by Richard Munro, on Flickr

bogtrotting coast to coast! by Richard Munro, on Flickr

Walna scar Rd by Richard Munro, on Flickr

Tan Inn help yourself! by Richard Munro, on Flickr

Not a good time for a puncture! by Richard Munro, on Flickr

The End by Richard Munro, on Flickr
    You have changed your mind 🙂 3 days and 4 hours of riding hard as ****

GlitterGary
    Free Member

The ‘man’s route’?

But one of the bikes is pink! 😆

rootes1

nice new little book out re c2c:

http://www.cicerone.co.uk/product/detail.cfm/book/649/title/the-c2c-cycle-route

got a copy the other day as a freebie as I contributed to it.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

The C2C is a nice ride and there’s lots of interesting things to see along the way, especially on the Consett to Sunderland stretch – the transformers near Consett, the JCB cows at Beamish, and the Lambton Worm bit, which you can ride along, just on the edge of Chester le Street. Oh, the Grey Horse pub in Consett is right next to the track too.

And my house

rather than go through Consett because they’d heard tales of locals throwing stones at them

Wasn’t Me!

I just laugh at people having to dismount to get through the weave/gates. Usually it’s people on CX bikes. I’ve seen an old couple ride through them on a tandem.

I’d say two days should be ample, the majority of the traffic is west to east, you’ll have a tailwind most days.

I still think it’d be more fun East to west though.

vim_fuego
    Free Member

If you have a mixed group I think 3 days for the c2c is the best option, makes it a more relaxed affair, not much fun seeing part time cyclists hitting the wall. Base your days riding at about 10mph aaverage speed.
    Me and my son just did the c2c and reivers in 4 days on road bikes, thoroughly enjoyable and we were lucky with the weather.
    A warning to anyone thinking about doing the Reivers, once you enter Cumbria the signage is pretty bad, a lot of signs are that weathered they are unreadable, some just aren’t there. Best bet would be to get the gpx file for a sat nav, saves stopping to get the map out. No problems on c2c, we went to Tynemouth instead of Sunderland and I used the gps for that day which was handy to keep us right.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Coast to coast info’ is closed to new replies.