Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • coast to coast in a day. How hard?
  • samcamsdad

Our kids school is looking to raise some money, and one of the teachers is asking for people to ride the open cycling coast to coast in a day sportive.
    Has anyone had a go at this event?

ton

did the morecombe to scarborough one, on the road. 150 miles.
    it was tough.

TomB

I’ve signed up, it’s seascale to Whitby, 158miles, hardknott and wry nose in the first 30 miles, then the flatlands of the Yorkshire dales and moors. I think it will be tough, and see it as my training goal for the next 6 months.

samcamsdad

This is the seascale to whitby route also 150 miles.
    Only had a road bike a couple of months, so think this might kill me!

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Doh. Wrong thread.

righog
    Free Member

I did it a few years back. 140 miles, it took us 14 hours, everyone was reasonably fit and all but one of us got to the end. We had quite a few mechanicals which took a good while to sort out. We also spent too long at the half way point eating a massive meal ( guilty ) . It’s doable but you would need to get the training in and make sure the people you are doing it with have as well. Rained all day with stiff Easterly wind in June. I loved every minute of it.

mikehopkins
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns9YwOKR8-U[/video]

Coast to coast short documentary

Don’t have anything else to add on the subject really, sorry for poor input…

although this guys choice of food might not’ve helped him >_>

quite interesting little video though. 🙂

(only relevance is “coast to coast” bit…)

samcamsdad

Cheers tom, i was a bit slow there. My wife seems really keen to have a go, its finding the time to train thats the problem.
    Not one i think you could just turn up and have a go!

samcamsdad

Ill watch that as soon as the kids are in bed, cheers.

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

coast to coast in a day. How hard?

Very

tk46hal
    Free Member

Great video! Kind of makes you want to do it, nice weather and stuff but clearly mental torture.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Did that guy cheat? The last bit of riding is the drop into Sandsend, which is still north of Whitby, Robins hood bay is another few miles south of Whitby.

Personally i’d have saved myself 20 miles and had fish+chips on the pier in Saltburn 🙂

stox
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member
    Did that guy cheat? The last bit of riding is the drop into Sandsend, which is still north of Whitby, Robins hood bay is another few miles south of Whitby.

Just watched it and noticed that drop too!!
    the end of the ride doesn’t look like sandsend to me though so assumed it was just the way he has edited it timing wise. Not sure it looked like RHB either tho!

I’m with you on the Saltburn idea 🙂

reggiegasket
    Free Member

yep, done Glasson Dock (near Lancaster) to Flamborough Head. Just under 150. Good route, tough day. Doing it again this summer actually.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Lytham St Annes to Scarborough is pretty flat but for a big climb at Bolton Abbey= 135 miles iirc
    Dont think you will find and easier route and if some folk are not fit I would not be bothering making them walk up hardknott so early in the day or tiring their legs – hardly confidence inspiring for them or motivational.

it will be hard anyway you dont need a challenge within your challenge IMHO

labsey
    Free Member

Never done that route but if it’s anything like Hornsea to Southport, doing it in a day will be brutal. Good luck though mate.

Junkyard
    Free Member

No it is nowt like that – its easy to navigate for one 😉
    You also avoid the shitholes of liverpool , Manchester and Hull 😀

Its not brutal but it is a test

if 80-100 road miles holds no fear for you I think you will do it just because of how flat it is , especially at the end which helps

martymac

it depends how fit you (all) are really.
    if there are a few of you taking turns on the front to share the work that will help.
    ive never done any more than 100miles in a day, although i was always light to moderately loaded at the time.
    biggest issues i found were making sure i was fuelled up, bonking with 40 miles to go is not a pleasant experience i can tell you!
    make sure your bike is tip top, a mechanical on a day like that is a total pita.

postierich
    Free Member

He was in Robin Hoods bay but he obviuosly did not have it in him to ride the cobbled bits down to the sea!

allthegear
    Free Member

Done the Sustrans coast to coast before in a day, Whitehaven to Sunderland. Was hard but not impossible. I wasn’t exactly fit then, either.

Rachel

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Racheal,would it in your opinion be more difficult to do it the Sunderland to Whithaven direction?I know the prevailing wind is a Westerly.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘coast to coast in a day. How hard?’ is closed to new replies.