Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Coaching sessions
  • tom199
    Free Member

So I’ve got a birthday coming up and am thinking about asking for a coaching day. I live in the South but am willing to travel a bit so any recommendations?
    Also how do you judge what level course to go on? Ideally you’d start from the bottom and work your way up but how basic is basic?

dknwhy

I went on a skills course yesterday with Tony (Jedi) of UK Bike Skills. It was the “jumps, drops and berms” public course and cost £85. They do a singletrack course too which I think is a bit more basic. I asked Tony what he thought would be more suitable for me and he suggested the course I did.

What did Tony teach me? Very little – and this is the beauty of it. He stripped away all the bad habits i’d learned from magazines, videos and what i’d picked up over the years and got me to remember the basics of riding a bike and then putting it into practice in the right way in the right environment.
    It transformed my riding and confidence.
    I’m a very average rider and had my wheels off the ground and was cornering better than ever by the end of the day.

What Tony does well is that he leaves the obstacle choices up to you but when you do exhibit the desire to tackle the higher drops etc, he offers the reassurance that you need to try them.

I left the day feeling that I got 100% value for money and can’t wait to put what i’ve learned into practice before heading back in the spring for some more coaching.

tom199
    Free Member

UK Bike Skills was one of the companies I had looked at but was struggling to see where they ran their courses from. Do they coach you on natural trails or is it more purpose built skills areas?
    Perhaps as you say, its best to talk to the company and see which level coarse they recommend for you rather than taking a guess and making the wrong call

Onzadog
    Free Member

I spoke to Tony about the whole natural/manufactured thing before I went as I prefer natural trails to trail centres.

However, Tony helps you reveal skills and techniques you can use. Once you’ve proven to yourself that they work and you trust them, it really doesn’t matter where you employ them.

That will all make sense after your session.

dknwhy

They have a purpose built skills area in Hertford.

It’s a big area though with a load of stuff we didn’t touch – north shore etc. We started on 3 progressive drops and a 6ft tabletop before tackling sections of purpose built trail that culminated in a run consisting of 3-4 jumps and 3 berms before hitting a bigger jump.

badnewz
    Free Member

UK Bike Skills was one of the companies I had looked at but was struggling to see where they ran their courses from.

They are near Hertford.

mynamesnotbob
    Free Member

I used singletrack school in the south once, seemed pretty good but it was a basic course that was right for me at the time. Would use them again for some more advanced coaching, but now live elsewhere in the country so not really practicle

Rubber_Buccaneer

I have done three skills courses this year, the last two were with UK Bike Skills (Jedi) and were public days, first the jumps and drops then I went back for the singletrack skills. You may think I did those in the wrong order but it really doesn’t matter, pick what you fancy.

I have no hesitation in recommending Jedi. You do learn in a manufactured area which means all you need is right there and what you learn and gain confidence in can be applied anywhere.

Maybe one day I will have a 1-2-1 session but I really enjoyed the group days and didn’t feel sharing the time was a negative at all, probably a plus in many ways.

tom199
    Free Member

UK Bike Skills are a 2 hour drive from me but seem to come highly recommended. I’ll give them a call and see what availability they have.

There’s a company called pro ride mtb near me. Anyone have any experience of them? Guy’s called Ben Deakin i think

pickle
    Free Member

Not been on any courses with UK Bike skills but i have had the pleasure of riding with Tony before and I can definitely vouch for his skill and passion for it all. He’s a top bloke and knows his stuff that’s for sure.

alexh
    Free Member

Within 2 hours journey? I wouldn’t go anywhere else than Tony/Jedi.

chakaping
    Free Member

There’s a company called pro ride mtb near me. Anyone have any experience of them? Guy’s called Ben Deakin i think

Done their course up at Gisburn earlier this year, dug out my review for you…
    http://unduro.co.uk/riding/pro-ride-guides-airtime-course/

🙂

tom199
    Free Member

chakaping thanks for that, good review. Am i right in saying that they undertake the coaching on more natural trails rather than purpose built skills areas?

spacemonkey

Tony will be my choice when I finally commit to a bit of coaching.

He’s an old timer from this here parish and EVERY bit of feedback (here) from those attending his sessions has been positive (and very authentic sounding).

jedi

Thanks for the recommendation guys

chakaping
    Free Member

Am i right in saying that they undertake the coaching on more natural trails rather than purpose built skills areas?

Just from seeing pics on their FB feed, it looks like they use the trails at FoD.

modmodworld
    Free Member

Another vote for Jedi / UK Bike Skills. It’ll stay with you forever.

maxtorque

+1

😀

neenan1
    Free Member

I’ve been on training with Tony and with the Pro Ride at the FoD. Both instructors are great guys and easy to get on with.
    However I would definitely recommend Tony. He gets to the point and helps you understand the techniques quickly.

jamesmio
    Free Member

Not much good for OP but anyone in and around 7 Stanes territory would do well to speak to Clive @ MTBSkills. I’ve done a coupe of skills days with him and my riding and confidence has come on shedloads as a result of both.

Linky – http://mtbskills.co.uk/mtbs/home.html

If you get 2/3 of you together for the day it works out really very reasonably priced too.

SixFootTwo
    Free Member

Tony would get my vote, pro ride or Jedi is personal choice (have tried both) based on style and fit. Tony would get my vote and his site is perfect for building up on jumps, drops and cornering.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Go see Tony at UKBIKESKILLS.

I’ve been twice, taught me how to ride properly, now losing all my bad habits, as a result no more dead sailor jumps and comfortably hitting 25-30ft jumps.

Even speeds up my commute now I can corner properly, whipping through a series of tight alley ways and tunnels leading in to Chelmsford station puts a smile on my face everyday!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Coaching sessions’ is closed to new replies.