Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Co2 pumps and aeroplanes ?
  • bigwill
    Free Member

looking at going on holiday to tenerife, and fancy taking the bike, I am currently running tubeless and need to deflate my tyres to get then in the bag. I don’t fancy taking my big track pump to inflate them at the other end, but was wondering am I allowed to take the little co2 canisters on the plane – in the hold not hand luggage. any experience would be much appreciated.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Well, they’re banned by Royal Mail, even by ground post. You’d think therefore airlines would be stricter, but then again RM seem worse now 😉

But more seriously when I was deciding between fly and drive to the Alps, I’d read several posts saying CO2 carts were banned. Ended up driving as it’s more flexible and can take far more stuff.

mikeyp

if you are running gunk you shouldn’t use a CO2 canister as it seems to dry it out. You shouldn’t be able to get a canister through checked luggage.

bigwill
    Free Member

I usually use the track pump to avoid the drying out issues, though that said I have never had a massive problem when I use the co2 cans. It looks unlikely has I will get the on the plane with co2 cans, so either smuggle the track pump into the wifes luggage or run tubes may be the best options

convert

Yes, they are banned for cyclists to take, but I might have accidentally left them in my seat tube when I packed my bag where I of course normally store them and they have always been there when I unpacked my bike at the other end. Never felt too guilty about this ‘mistake’ as sailors (as in people going on sailing holidays and taking kit) are allowed to carry them installed in life jackets and of course they are in the aircraft’s own life jackets (and the aircraft holds on passenger aircraft have been pressurised for about 50 years so that’s a non issues too).

TooTall
    Free Member

They are classed as Dangerous Air Cargo and rather naughty to carry on aircraft. My mate just had to open his entire bike kit and was made to throw the CO2 he had with him.
    They are DAC for a good reason – as is everything else DAC.

convert

They are classed as Dangerous Air Cargo and rather naughty to carry on aircraft. ……
    They are DAC for a good reason – as is everything else DAC.

Sorry tootall but that’s bollox.

This is the quote from Ryanair (that bastion of free and liberal air travel) about your “dangerous air cargo”.

A self inflating lifejacket with 2 carbon dioxide cylinders (plus 2 spares) can be included in either cabin or checked baggage.

You will find similar from every other airline if you care to look. The ones in my jacket are exactly the same as the ones used for cycling, in fact I’ve robbed the ones from my jacket when not having any to hand.

It’s a weird anomaly that you can carry them for the purpose of one activity (sailing) and not another (cycling) but DAC is not a good excuse if it’s ok for some.

TooTall
    Free Member

Sorry tootall but that’s bollox.

No. No it isn’t:

crewsaver link

They are classed by IATA, the international authority, as Dangerous Air Cargo. There is an inherent danger in carrying compressed gasses aboard aircraft, particularly in unpressurised holds.

As the link says, check with your carrier and some are willing to take it. Many are not.

Happy?

downhilldave

Think you would so need the life jacket to work. Have taken them before on flights, five times last year to Fuerteventura. Put them in my case/ hold laggage. If they go in your bike bike they normally ask before they X-Ray it.

downhilldave

Aircraft holds are pressurised but not heated

TooTall
    Free Member

some

Aircraft holds are pressurised but not heated

and some to a lower pressure than the cabin.

convert

Happy?

Of course not! It is bollox. I’ve yet to fly with an airline that wouldn’t take an ‘armed’ lifejacket so I think CS’s stance is just a catch all.

The point remains though that some customers can’t take certain goods because they are ‘dangerous’ and others can – on the same airline. That is just daft. Either it is dangerous or it isn’t.

You could argue that it is more important to one customer group than the other so the ‘risk’ is worth taking for everyone on the plane, but that’s bollox too!

dantsw13

Every cumulative item of DAC increases risk however small. IATA risk assessments have allowed life jacket cartridges to be permitted, but not bike co2 cartridges.
    They aren’t permitted – some may have got away with it.
    As a cycling airline pilot, I don’t take CO2 with me on flights.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

I’ve flown with Air France, Jet 2, Easy Jet, Monarch and CCM. Carried co2 cartridges, did have a problem once at Liverpool. That was down to the baggage handling staff who dont work for any airliner, 1 said I couldnt check them in hold but could take them in hand. Easy Jet said the opposite, however I siad I’ll just bin the cartridges so discharged the one in the pump. A baggage supervisor said “what are you doing they are allowed in hold luggage” so in hold they went.
    FWIW difference in air pressure from sea level to 40,000 feet is only 15 Psi, every aircraft carries some 150 co2 cannisters in the cabins.
    Check before you go with the carrier, if you dont feel confident on carrying them.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Small non-flammable gas cylinders, containing carbon dioxide or other suitable gas in Div 2.2. Up to 2 small cylinders fitted into a life jacket and up to 2 spare cylinders per person. Not more than 4 cylinders up to 50 mL water capacity for other devices. So from the forbidden items list the above are allowed in hand or hold, the pilot need not be informed however it does recommended contacting the carrier.

TooTall
    Free Member

I think CS’s stance is just a catch all

which is fair enough. If I were in their position I’d try to do right by my customers as well. IATA is pretty clear and internationally used and carries a lot of clout – especially if you go against it and someone ends up sifting through wreckage.

In a former life I used to sign off on DAC paperwork. I followed the interpretations of the regulations as set by my employers.
    Anything else was risking my job and worse as their view was that DAC could put a risk to the aircraft, crew and passengers if carried. Lifejackets could be carried if not armed and packaged so the cylinder could not be tampered with.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Try taking co2 carts through US security as hand held and they seriously will not be happy with you. Though they never are.

Generally they are okay as the canisters are well sealed and require a decent force to puncture, but I can see they may be technically seen as a danger.

It’s similar with batteries. Technically lithium batteries are restricted. In practice they are generally okay by the airlines but you will find some staff or security at the airport that will kick up a fuss. This is happening more with posting them too now, especially if they are not attached to an electronic device.

rockhopperbike

Why don’t you just go to a petrol station and fill the tyres when you arrive

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Co2 pumps and aeroplanes ?’ is closed to new replies.