Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • CNC machining costs….
  • Nipper99
    Free Member

for making something like a Middleburn Incy spider like one of these. Having just spent the better part of a grand on a frame for a build that was going to utilise one of these (there are no alternatives) Middleburn going kaput has left me in the lurch a bit. I was wondering how practical it would be to have one made (or a few made if necessary). I have one on another build that could serve as a pattern.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chainsets/black-middleburn-ro1-incy-square-taper-spider-11058mm-bcd-for-road-double/

bencooper
    Free Member

Shedloads. One-off CNCing is very expensive, I wouldn’t be surprised if you got quoted £500+ for something like that.

porter_jamie

60 an hour design time, 50 an hour set up, machine time plus material plus fixture design and materials.
    Hour design hour programming at least an hour setup probably 2 making a fixture hour to put the tools in. 50 quids worth of fixture material and probably 20 for the part.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’d say £300-400 for something the same 3D cnc cut. What you might realistically be able to do is laser cut something. Might need to make two parts and lose a bit of the fancy detail but it will be a lot cheaper. Mabye £10 per part. I’ve made up spline fitting parts that way with some success.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Arse.

mickmcd
    Free Member

what Jamie said 325 quid for a one off, already priced it for someone else

I have already the drawings to make them and the 3d cad for the rs8

no one has taken us up on the offer yet …and I’m not surprised

108 quid gets you an xt m8000 crank from CRC

Piece of piss to bang em out but whos going to jump on you when you do saying its a copy ripoff duplicate and all the programming time tooling and effort goes down the swanny before you have chance to make any of the time invested back, someone probably will start knocking em out as a substitute but who knows who

compare that to machining an upright for a racing Car thats seven hundred a corner and i can take the rest of the week off by tuesday

Nipper99
    Free Member

would it work out a bit cheaper Mick if you made a batch?

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Is this one out of stock then?

Nipper99
    Free Member

yes.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Fair enough – I thought you’d probably checked 🙂

stuey
    Free Member

I’ve got a spare mountain 5 arm 58/94mm – hardly used – (must be loads of them around) – any use to you?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘CNC machining costs….’ is closed to new replies.