Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Clutch mech's ??? Do they wear chain and rings quicker
  • jonnyrockymountain

If using clutch rear mech’s when switched on so chain is in tension will this wear your chain and rings quicker???

shortcut

Unlikely if it does I suspect it is really marginal.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’d imagine it will reduce chain wear if anything. All that waggling around of the chain will cause significant wear. No downsides to clutch mechs as far as I can see.

cp

the tension from the mech compared to the tension your legs put in the chain from pedalling is sod all, so in the real world, no.

dibboid
    Free Member

Who cares as long as your chain doesn’t jump off when you jump something stupid like a tree root and you go to pedal and nearly die. Love my x9 type 2.

jonnyrockymountain

Cheers guys, ill keep it switched on all the time then

tomhoward

The only time you need to switch it off is when you take the wheel out.

perthmtb
    Free Member

It’s a clutch, not a stronger tension spring (or at least the Shimano shadow plus is, no idea about the SRAM type2). It works by adding extra resistance to the RD cage trying to move backwards. So it only puts extra tension on the chain at the time when you’re changing into a larger chainwheel or sprocket, not under ‘normal’ running.

Having said that, I’ve used a clutched rear mech for 9 months now, and the lower jockey wheel is wearing at an alarming rate, so I’ve ordered a spare ready to swap at the annual service.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

I’ve not had mine long enough to say one way or the other, but I know some people prefer not to have the clutch switched on because it affects the suspension – a bit like extra compression damping sorta thing. I can’t imagine the effect is very large, but makes sense in theory.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Clutch mech's ??? Do they wear chain and rings quicker’ is closed to new replies.