Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Clutch Mech or Chainguide
  • KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

My Shimano XT 2×10 drivetrain sometimes spits my chain off the top or bottom of my front ring. Especially during longer, more technical descents.

My bike does not have ISCG tabs of any variety either.

So, what would be the best approach? Clutch Mech or Chainguide? The latter obviously needing to be 2×10 compatible.

Pros, cons and opinions of those using either or experience of both appreciated.

Cheers

Northwind

Clutch mech only controls the bottom loop well, though it does slightly increase overall tension. I tried it with no chainguide on 1×9 and it was better than expected but not good enough, for my taste. Not as good as a top chainguide alone, frinstance.

I’ve used a bottom chainguide on my 2×9 bikes for ages (cheapo Blackspire Stinger) and it works superbly but I’m not sure it’s needed now… I don’t have a 2×10 setup to try though but with front mech to guide it on top and clutch mech to control it on the bottom it might well be enough for most use.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Thanks Northwind.

So, based on what you’ve experienced so far, and the fact that a top chainguide is out of the question, it’s either a bottom chainguide or a clutch mech to try and tame the flapping/dismoutning chain.

MussEd
    Free Member

You can get BB mounted top chain guides for frames without iscg tabs though?

mlucas666
    Free Member

Get a Bionicon C.Guide. Nice and simple to setup, i think more effective than a clutch mech IME.

passtherizla
    Free Member

wouldn’t a BB mounted top guide get in the way of his front derailer?

And don’t stingers work best with a double and bash set-up?

Bionicon seems most sensible suggestion, unless you have single swing arm like orange 5 or Commie Meta?

onandon
    Free Member

I didn’t trust using a clutch mech only, on a 1×10 build.
    A couple of times I went to hit the power only to go over the top due the chain coming off.
    after that I went back to a non clutch mech and top chain guide…..faith restored ( and no cracked nuts )

Northwind

KingofBiscuits – Member

So, based on what you’ve experienced so far, and the fact that a top chainguide is out of the question, it’s either a bottom chainguide or a clutch mech to try and tame the flapping/dismoutning chain.

I’d say it’s more that you already have a top chainguide (the mech). Not sure if there’s any top dual guides? But I’ve never seen the need regardless, mech if set right ought to do the job really.

But yep, other’n that we’re on the same page. I can’t say which will be better, though. Personally I’d be inclined to try the clutch mech as that won’t be a total waste even if it doesn’t totally do the job- it’ll still help silence the bike and reduce slap, which is nice.

honourablegeorge

BB mounted stinger for twenty quid is normally your cheapest and best option – less sure of it on 2×10 without a bash though.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I put a Blackspire Stinker on my Mrs’s bike (albeit with a bash) & a clutch mech.

No more lost chains.

If you can, run both IMO. Nice & quiet & no more issues 🙂

jam-bo

Get a Bionicon C.Guide. Nice and simple to setup, i think more effective than a clutch mech IME.

thats just a DCD. it was shit the first time round. has it genuinely got any better?

nuke

Get a Bionicon C.Guide. Nice and simple to setup

+ 1. I run 2×9 on my Hemlock: dual front mech and C Guide. It works very well and ran it like that in the Alps this year. I did break the bit of plastic which the zip ties go through for attaching the guide to the chainstay but it comes with a spare and, when I contacted Bionicon, they sent me two more foc.

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

mlucas666 – Member

+2

Get one from Charlie the bikemonger on Ebay(and here)
    Arrived quickly and easy to set up

mlucas666
    Free Member

thats just a DCD. it was shit the first time round. has it genuinely got any better?

It’s an excellent (if slightly pricey) bit of kit.

Nuke – the latest instructions from bionicon say to add a third zip tie around the plastic bit (between the to other two zip ties) to stop it from flexing/snapping

+1 for Charlie the Bikemonger, it’s where I got mine from.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Thanks folks. Will take a look at those Bionicon guides. It might be worth trying one of those first as a cheaper option before the clutch mech.

I believe e13 do a 2×10 bottom chain guide but not sure if they come in BB mount flavours:

http://www.e13components.com/product_trsd_dmb.html

Although website seems to suggest they do even though the pics say otherwise. Anyone running one of these?

iain1775
    Free Member

Clutch only on 2×10 here manages fine
    Got a bionicon guide in case but not felt need to fit it yet

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Clutch Mech or Chainguide’ is closed to new replies.