Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Clutch mech binding in big gears – Any solutions? (Zee)
  • Superficial
    Free Member

So, I like clutch mechs as much as the next person BUT my Zee mech is causing problems. I’ve had it a while and was vaguely aware than it wasn’t right, but it was only when I had it in the workstand (for cleaning) than I realised there was a significant issue that needs sorting.

In the top two (biggest) sprockets, there is significant resistance to pedalling and it sounds a bit rougher than normal. This only occurs when the clutch is engaged. Flick the lever to off and it all works nicely in all the gears. It’s almost as if the clutch is holding the cage too firmly and it won’t slacken off enough to accommodate the chain growth required – If I manually move the cage (slackening the chain) and release it, the friction disappears until I shift again.

I’ve fiddled with the clutch tensioning and can’t make the problem go away.

The only other thing to say is that the chain is very tight. In order to keep tension whilst in the little sprocket, I had to remove more links than I usually would. The jockey wheels aren’t binding or anything since it works fine with the clutch switched off, but the cage is almost horizontal. It did cross my mind that perhaps I was sold a ‘DH’ spec Zee mech rather than the ‘FR’ one I ordered.

P.S. 1×10, 32t front narrow wide, 11:34 SLX cassette on my hardtail – a Cotic BFe. Hope Pro 2 hub. It’s not the setup/b-tension etc.

I bow to the STW hive-mind to come up with a solution. I really don’t want to buy a new derailleur. Worth trying a different ‘B-link’? If so where would I find one?

dantsw13

My sgs slx does similar. I think I need a couple more links of chain.

Superficial
    Free Member

I can’t run a longer chain though otherwise it doesn’t work in the 11t sprocket.

Mister-P
    Free Member

The downhill version has DH stamped onto the B link, the freeride version is blank.

If you have a DH one then you can replace the B link with part number 50Y 9801 to make it suitable for larger cassette sprockets.

sq225917
    Free Member

Welcome to the stupid world of 1x

tomaso
    Free Member

Er you need a longer cage mech or a narrow range downhill cassette? Afterall the Zee mech is a downhill specific bit of kit.

My medium cage clutch SLX mech does 11-36 and 22-36 2×10 with all gears functioning.

Northwind

Chain is too tight, for some reason, all stems from that.

Personally, I think the shimano short cage is just too short, regardless of the b-link setting it’s a bit marginal… I’ve had very similar issues with a Saint set in widerange mode, though that’s on a chaingrowthy full suss, surprised it’s happening on a hardtail.

So I’m suspecting something b-screw, b-link or fitting related- I can’t think of anything else that’ll account for it

timmys

Er you need a longer cage mech or a narrow range downhill cassette? Afterall the Zee mech is a downhill specific bit of kit.

The FR version is rated for a 11-36 cassette (1x). Mine works perfectly 11-36. I’ve even seen reports on here of them working with range-extending 42 teeth sprockets, though that would seem very marginal to me. 11-34 on a hardtail you should definitely have no problems at all. I’d double check you have the FR version.

Superficial
    Free Member

I didn’t know there was a way to tell if it’s DH or FR by looking. I’ll have a look and report back.

I’ve heard people say the Zee mechs are fine on full sus 11-36 so it *should* work fine on a hardtail with 11-34.

andybrad

i have a similar issue with the clutch engaged but with a tripple setup. the chain seems to “rub” on the upper sprockets making a noise, relase the clutch and it goes. Only happens changing up tho.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve had a look – there’s definitely no ‘DH’ stamped anywhere. According to this website (http://www.peterverdone.com/?p=1850) the only difference between the DH and the Fr versions is the position of the piece that engages with the notch on the dropout. The FR version rotates the mech clockwise a bit more.

So I guess the Zee could be frame-dependent – I.e. it depends where the dropout notch is located on the frame. Grrr…

singlespeedstu

andybrad – Member
    i have a similar issue with the clutch engaged but with a tripple setup. the chain seems to “rub” on the upper sprockets making a noise, relase the clutch and it goes. Only happens changing up tho.

You need to remove the cage and clean and grease the “P” axle.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/bikecomponents/RD/EV-RD-M640-3438_v1_m56577569830801188.pdf

I had an XT mech that did exactly the same thing and a clean and regrease sorted it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Clutch mech binding in big gears – Any solutions? (Zee)’ is closed to new replies.