Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Cloud House, Wales.
  • Ambrose

Has anyone got any ideas about this? It looks like an amazing place to visit- but visiting will spoil it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-31410140

large418
    Free Member

I don’t know, but what an amazing place. If anyone does know where it is please keep it to yourself.

molgrips
    Free Member

It looks fantastic!

On a similar note although a bit less spectacular, my mate’s gran lived in a huge Victorian farmhouse which I think they rented (tenant farmers) but owned the contents. The woman and her husband had become too frail to move about the house so they had moved downstairs to live in the kitchen and adjacent room. The rest of the house had been untouched for about 20 years, and was absolutely chock full of amazing old everyday stuff – strangely going back much more than 20 years.

Wardrobes full of 60s clothes, 20 year old toothpaste on the bathroom shelf and so on. Also stuff like enormous Welsh dressers full of silver dinner services; and ancient electrical appliances some still in use. A very early freezer and steam iron I remember. It really was like a National Trust house. My mate and his family were dirt poor though.

The outbuildings had been full of a compelte steam powered Victorian cast iron style grain processing setup with leather belts driven off shafts in the loft and all. The granddad had sold it all for an undisclosed but apparently very large sum. She died after I’d mostly lost touch with the mate, I hope they were looked after.

CountZero

The Cloud House looks amazing, just the sort of place that gets the UrbEx crowd all moist and excited. There’s a really extraordinary structure in a corner of a field made from dry stone walling, looking a bit like a hobbit building.
    The land-owners actively discourage visitors, and it’s very tricky to find.
    Going to have a wander over there one fine day and have a sneaky shufti. 😉

milky1980
    Free Member

I know where that is!!

Recognised it from the Landy, won’t say where but I may need to take a peek rather than just go by next time I’m that way.

milky1980
    Free Member

Since I posted up that I know where this house is I have had 20+ emails from people asking me to tell them where it is, mainly photography students. To save me replying to them all (and to stop any more!) I will say this:

I have no intention of divulging the location of this house. It has stayed in it’s untouched state purely due to the fact it’s location is remote and not well known. I wish to preserve that for future generations. Like the OP (who I was happy to be contacted by) I hold a fascination for these types of places, I do not go out looking for them but when I come across one they are magical. If I do visit this one again I will not enter it, just peer through the windows.
    Someone had gone to the trouble of photographing it very well indeed. Enjoy those photos, which are readily available online, then go out there and find a hidden gem of your own.

Bunnyhop

Well said milky.

In 2001 while house hunting, I went along to an open day in an Edwardian house.
    The owner had to go into a home in her 90’s.
    It was stuffed full of 1940’s furniture and ornaments. No telly, just the big old radio. Kitchen had an original cooker and fridge, stand alone butler sink and outside loo.
    No central heating or 21st century comforts. It was a privilege to see. The estate agent said he’d never come across such a well kept, clean house in that condition that was way back in time.

bencooper
    Free Member

The Cloud House looks amazing, just the sort of place that gets the UrbEx crowd all moist and excited.

Not me – Wales is full of the most amazing mines, quarries, MoD places, stuff like that. Even a mint, untouched printworks in the middle of a big town. But old houses like this are all over the place.

Sorry, I’ve never been a fan of houses 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Cloud House, Wales.’ is closed to new replies.