Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Clothing advice for a summer wedding in Italy.
  • Duffer
    Free Member

Heading for a wedding in the Italian Alps in the summer. Relaxed dress code, so i’ll not be needing a jacket and tie. I expect the temperature to be in the mid 20s.

I really fancy getting some tweed in there; I’m currently thinking of white shirt, chinos and tweed waistcoat. Any ideas?

aP
    Free Member

Light coloured linen suit. I took a Margaret Howell lightweight suit, with a simple shirt. You really can’t impress an Italian enough with your choice of clothing.

badnewz
    Free Member

England shirt, bermudas, white socks and sandals.
    Bring a plastic chair to throw along with the confetti.

julzm
    Free Member

Depends where in the Italian Alps…..spent some time in Bormio, a couple of years ago and it wasn’t roasting. Low 20s seems to be their average in June/July so tweed waistcoat might be ok.

djambo
    Free Member

andyxm
    Free Member

Be assured that despite your very best efforts you will be outdone by every Italian there. On that basis what badnewz said.

Duffer
    Free Member

Be assured that despite your very best efforts you will be outdone by every Italian there.

This is the reason i’m thinking tweed… i don’t imagine it’s very common in Italy!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

This is the reason i’m thinking tweed… i don’t imagine it’s very common in Italy!

Either that or a properly cut British suit. Doesn’t have to be tweed, of course, but something nice like a light grey POW would be smashing.

If it’s going to be hot, avoid blue shirts. Pale pink or white works well. Oh, and don’t be afraid to wear a plain white vest/t-shirt underneath. In hot weather, this really helps, as it helps dissipate the sweat in your pits! Always wear one in warmer climes.

Superficial
    Free Member

I second the linen suit suggestion. British style is different to Italian, but not necessarily inferior. As long as you’re not going for the ‘playboy just stepped off a luxury yacht ‘ look, you’ll be fine.

nedrapier

Fun fact: when you think of well-dressed italian men, you’re thinking of what they call ‘stile inglesi’. They’re trying to ape the best of that type of British/English fashion.

TiRed

Linen suit, pink shirt and a decent Panama hat.

downshep

Scottish?
    We had a big family wedding near Portofino. Literally a planeload of Brits attended. A couple of us Scots hired full highland outfits. Bit self conscious at first among the uber stylish Italians but we literally stopped traffic and broke the ice with everyone.
    If from elsewhere, smart tweed and brogues is a great look to match any Italian. Just don’t dress like a local, they’ll win.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Dark linen suit, plain shirt, good shoes

If those are ok it will be your sunglasses and hair they judge you by… 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

Stoatz has it, that’s the correct dress code and observation.

Duffer
    Free Member

Not Scottish I’m afriad! I come from a clan of farmers from the midlands.

Linen sounds like the prefered option, then!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Clothing advice for a summer wedding in Italy.’ is closed to new replies.