Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 125 total)
  • close shave..
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Stopped at the lights this morning, right turn lane. Hi viz, lights plural, reflectives.
    Van screeches to a halt next to my left knee and driver claims its ok cos he saw me just in time.
    Hope explaining to his boss why the company van has a missing wing mirror is ok too.
    Driver refused my offer of discussing it further, maybe due to the fact i tried to climb through his window!

bearnecessities

I thought this was going to be a niche razor thread 🙁

cynic-al
    Free Member

Do you have anger issues?

nuke

Van screeches to a halt next to my left knee and driver claims its ok cos he saw me just in time.

Well it was ok, wasn’t it? …as he didn’t hit you?

maybe due to the fact i tried to climb through his window!

Why? Need more details to this story…how did he lose his wing mirror?

:edit: oh was that you that knocked his mirror off 😯

wwaswas

I thought he’d put all those behind him after running out in the street and threatening someone with an axe.

peterfile
    Free Member

This might not end the way you thought it would 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

The life of a winter cycle commuter eh?

PJ266
    Free Member

No high horse here, you got angry because someone nearly seriously hurt you due to their negligence.

Understandable.

IanMunro
    Free Member

The life of a winter cycle commuter eh?

😀
    A driver last week slowed down as she passed last week, wound down the window to tell me to get off the road and use the (more dangerous) cycle path, then sped off. Doing that 800m before a set of traffic lights though is a beginners mistake 😀

wwaswas

did you rip her wing mirror off and try and climb in the car?

zokes
    Free Member

If it happened as the OP states, I think anyone in that situation would be quite rightly peeved

boxfish
    Free Member

i tried to climb through his window

Take a step ladder next time?

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Given your name op,
    short man sindrome? 😀

wwaswas

If it happened as the OP states, I think anyone in that situation would be quite rightly peeved

You’re not wrong, it’s just that the OP has previous when it comes to this sort of thing.

hooli

I predict this not ending very well for you

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Muddydwarf in mid commute

bigyinn
    Free Member

Nice one OP. Despite the haterz, I’d prob have done the same (I have in the past!).
    Most motorists don’t tend to argue with a 6’5″ MTB’r who’s going off on one!

wwaswas

Meanwhile, the van drivers boss is contacting the police to report criminal damage to his property…

nealglover
    Free Member

So you had a near miss but the driver saw you in time and avoided you.

You then smashed off his wing mirror and attempted to assault him.

Nice work 🙄

jekkyl

you ripped his wing mirror off? jesus.

DezB
    Free Member

Nice work

Agreed.

nealglover
    Free Member

It was sarcasm.

But you knew that right ….

njee20
    Free Member

The life of a winter cycle commuter complete mentalist on a bike eh?

FTFY

winston_dog
    Free Member

muddydwarf – I am guessing that your forum name is ironic and the van was relatively small.

Behaving like that will get you a good kicking one day. If you had done that to me I would of phoned 999 and happily discussed it further.

He didn’t hit you and seems to have offered an apology.

It’s your type that fuel the anti cyclist brigade.

DezB
    Free Member

Whereas everyone loves a van driver.

Commute much winston?

Sandwich

Another way of looking at it Winston; said white van man will take care around cyclists because the next one may not stop at mirrors and he won’t want to take the chance.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Its mixed is it not { i know on stw we need to pick one side only and argue it to death but bear with me for dissenting] If I had failed to see a cyclist and skidded to a stop just missing them I would have apologised

Had it happened to me, as the cyclist, I think I would have said something

The OP probably over reacted but many of us would have said something to the 2 ton box driver who only just managed to avoid killing/injuring us by driving really poorly.

winston_dog
    Free Member

said white van man will take care around cyclists because the next one may not stop at mirrors and he won’t want to take the chance.

How does that work?

I don’t commute much but do ride on the road and yes some of the drivers are shocking. It just doesn’t help behaving like that.

wwaswas

I agree Junkyard, I don;t think many would have just toddled off on there way without saying some choice words to the driver.

I think there’s a general feeling that, as he’s described it, Mr dwarf perhaps let his temper get the better of him.

Junkyard
    Free Member

How does that work?

Re read your quote they have already explained

muddydwarf
    Free Member

That’s just it – he didn’t offer an apology, just blithely waved his hand and claimed “its ok, i saw you just in time”. If he had said “I’m sorry for so nearly smashing you across the junction” it would have been different. It was the complete disregard for my safety that upset me.
    I have the company name, tempted to offer payment in return for 10 minutes with the driver..

BoomBip
    Free Member

The incredible Hulk on a bike is one thing but I can’t help but be intrigued by this

the (more dangerous) cycle path

Rickety plank bridge over a ravine? With bears? Or does the OP use it? 😀

nuke

Another way of looking at it Winston; said white van man will take care around cyclists because the next one may not stop at mirrors and he won’t want to take the chance.

We could do ‘another way of looking at it’ all day…another way of looking at it, said white van man will carry a weapon with him next time in case he has another near miss, gets assaulted by a cyclist and has to ‘defend’ himself

winston_dog
    Free Member

saying some choice words to the driver.

A bit different from ripping his wing mirror off.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Yes, i did lose my temper – but id be interested to see how many off you wouldn’t in the same circumstances. Ive commuted by bike for over 25yrs and this is the one that has REALLY scared me, considering not riding to work again now.

PS – i didn’t rip it off, i punched it off. Just to be precise.

peterfile
    Free Member

I have the company name, tempted to offer payment in return for 10 minutes with the driver..

muddydwarf, earlier…

bookwyse
    Free Member

Or the white van man is currently discussing with police why he has just knocked a cyclist off her bike that was coming up his inside.

“Sorry officer, I didnt see her because some idiot on bike smashed the mirror earlier today whilst trying to assualt me!”

FFS he MISSED you and you still cause criminal damage to the vehicle. Only one word to say. PRAT.

winston_dog
    Free Member

PS – i didn’t rip it off, i punched it off. Just to be precise.

I don’t believe you.

Muddy Dwarf going to work.

DezB
    Free Member

The OP probably over reacted but many of us would have said something to the 2 ton box driver who only just managed to avoid killing/injuring us by driving really poorly.

No really – we should just wave and smile and say “Maybe next time eh buddy?” and let them do what the **** they like on the roads. It’s going well so far.

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

I personally would have done the same… I get pissed off when people try to pass me with less than a foot gap between me and them, they can see me, but are not taking my safety in to account much. So this is pretty much similar, he JUST seen you in time. Not really acceptable is it? Fair enough, miss by an inch, miss by a mile. But when it’s my legs that are at risk, yes I’m going to want to slap you upside the cheeks.
    Shame you are a dwarf and couldn’t get through the window really. 😈

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 125 total)

The topic ‘close shave..’ is closed to new replies.