Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Clipless or flat shoes for hike-a-bike
  • roverpig

Most of my rides these days seem to involve a bit of hike-a-bike. I’ve always gone for flats off-road (clipless on the road bike of course) partly because “normal” shoes seemed the obvious choice if there was going to be any hiking involved. But a flat shoe that works on the bike (like my current 5:10 freeriders) are pretty hopeless in terms of grip when walking.

I saw the review of the Vaude Moab in thus months mag and that looked good, but I wonder whether clipless might actually work better.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

All my 3 pairs of 5 tens have been fine hike a biking, even the ones with the big flat, non grippy bit.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

for me it depends what your hiking through, I prefer my flat soled clipless for rocky mountain stuff, traditional XC type shoes for mud and forrest stuff. Something stiff for anything above a grade I scramble

Junkyard
    Free Member

never struggled with various SPD boots for climbing

aldo56
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of Scarpa Crux approach shoes which I now prefer to my 5.10s for riding and walking!

oxbow
    Free Member

Mrs O uses Specialized Tahoe all the time – decent vibram sole. There are men’s versions too, so might be worth a look. Mesh upper, so need to wear Sealskinz when wet.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I did a 18km hike wearing Shimano AM45 SPD (didn’t have my walking boots with me) shoes in the lakes the other day and it was fine

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I use shimano mt90 boots, basically a leather hiking boot with a vibram sole and cleats. Very happy with them and they’ve been up several munros.

scotroutes

Yep, I’ve done Munros in MT90s and a selection of other SPD boots and shoes. I’d just avoid the racey styled ones and choose something with a reasonably flexy sole. You may find that you develop a hot-spot around the cleat whilst pedalling though. Choose a pedal with a little bit of platform (I like Candys) to resolve that.

roverpig

Thanks folks. It sounds as though one of the Shimano XM boots or shoes with a pedal that has a bit of platform (Crank Brothers Mallet E ?) would work. The need for new pedals does make it an expensive option though. I could just try something more waterproof with a more walking friendly sole (e.g. approach shoes) with my existing flat pedals first.

molgrips
    Free Member

Seems like ‘Enduro’ shoes are pretty good for both walking and cycling by design, so try some for hike-a-bike too.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’ve climbed maybe 50 mountains in my Shimano AM45 SPDs and they’ve only just died (well, not died but the toe is coming away a bit and I’d rather they didn’t dismantle completely after 3000ft of ascent). I’ve just bought the new AM5 to replace them which has the same sole and while they’re not as good as a hiking boot on wet grass they’re generally great. I like this style of shoe because they’re really tough and grazing them off rocks on foot and on rocky mountain trails is not kind to footwear. I prefer SPDs because of the extra control.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Thanks folks. It sounds as though one of the Shimano XM boots or shoes with a pedal that has a bit of platform (Crank Brothers Mallet E ?) would work. The need for new pedals does make it an expensive option though. I could just try something more waterproof with a more walking friendly sole (e.g. approach shoes) with my existing flat pedals first.

I was not a big fan of Freeriders for hike a bike because they were too thin and soft. The Karvers were better as they were stiffer, had more support and had the flap over the laces but are no longer available. Currently using the Sam Hill Impact which I am pretty impressed with as they are really stiff and the uppers have some waterproofing. Have done some scrambly type stuff like the Chalamain Gap if you know that, and the grip and support have been excellent – effectively just like an approach shoe. Definitely not waterproof but they do dry slightly quicker than standard Impacts

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I bought some of these based on a very favourable review by Mark in Singletrack. Very pleased with them on and off the bike, and I can confirm they’ve had some decent hike-a-bike up various Lakeland and Scottish passes this year.

Mavic Crossmax Pro H20

tomd
    Free Member

I like my fairly racey spds shoes over my 510s for hikeabike because they drain water quicker and don’t weight a tonne when wet.

sambob
    Free Member

My Giro Chambers have been ace for everything including Helvellyn, cleat plate has delaminated from the vibram sole but some glue should sort that no bother.

papercutout
    Free Member

It depends on the shoes, not if they’re clipless or not. My Mavic Crossmax’s are fine for bike and hikes, as are the Mavic Alpines (if you don’t want worrying ratchets), and the Northwave Matrix’s I used to own.

There’re a couple of companies that produce what is basically a stiff trail shoe, with a cleat underneath that (for me) is a great idea.

dudeofdoom

I love the adidas terrex trail sl things, it’s pretty much an adidas upper with 5-10 stealth sole but a different pattern and imho nicer to walk in.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Clipless or flat shoes for hike-a-bike’ is closed to new replies.