• This topic has 17 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by qtip.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • clipless MTB shoe sizing- wide fit needed!
  • mrwhyte
    Free Member

Looking at the shimano am45 shoes, but all my LBSs do not stock. I have pretty wide feet, and after looking at some Mavics, which I was told come up slightly narrow. How do the Shimano’s fair? Or if someone could recommend a good pair of shoes that come up with a fairly wide fit. clipless needed.

Cheers!

landslide

I’ve tried on Shimano, Sidi, Northwave and Gaerne and found them to be too narrow.
    Specialized are a good fit for me, and I’ve got on with Lake shoes in the past. YMMV.

fatladridesbikes
    Free Member

As per landslide in my experence.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

I have specialized at the moment, given up the ghost after about 5 years!
    Will have a look at the north wave, as I know LBS stocks them. cheers.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got tall arches and quite wide feet so I struggle to even buckle up some shoes. I used to have some older specialized which fit like a glove. I’ve now got some Shimano wide fit which are spacious 🙂 My winter boots are northwave, they’re passable, I think because they’re winter boots and soft/stretch more than actually being wide.

I think Shimano only do two or three models in wide fit (low/mid/high) and possibly only in the XC models rather than the more enduro/boot/trainer styles.

Got mine from Evans as they were the same price as the normal width ones.

fatladridesbikes
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of Specalized 2FO on order in the hope that as they are less shoe like they should have a bit of give 😕

MrNice
    Free Member

Shimano have different lasts. The more enduro/trainer styles start off a bit roomier than the disco slippers.

Be aware that wide models tend to be *very* wide and high volume. I’ve got wide but low volume feet and I’m best off going for a non-wide fit from a more generous manufacturer, eg Lake.

ransos
    Free Member

Shimano have different lasts. The more enduro/trainer styles start off a bit roomier than the disco slippers.

Yep, my MT53s are plenty roomy enough for my wide feet but RT82s are too narrow and tight across the toes. Both are size 44.

ThePinkster

I find Lake a comfortably wide fit too, more like wearing my normal shoes & trainers than the abnormally tight fit of Shimano.

Not tried the others though.

VanHalen

Specialized for my flippers

nickc

Giro and Sidi have wider fittings in their ranges

teasel
    Free Member

For reference, in comparison to Sidi and Spesh, Mavic come up quite tight around the toe area even with the Maxi fit.

binners

If you’ve wide feet then Shimano are a no-no. They’re really narrow. Best fit I’ve found for wider feet are Northwave and 661’s

zilog6128

IME Lake’s are wider than average, they also do a specific Wide size if you need even more room!

ben98
    Free Member

Mavic fit me and I’ve got very skinny feet, they are probably not for you…

mcnultycop

The Agu ones from on one are cheap, excellent quality and wider than my Northwaves.

lunge

Specialized always work for my flippers.

qtip

DHBs for my wide size 12s – dead comfy, and pretty cheap too.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘clipless MTB shoe sizing- wide fit needed!’ is closed to new replies.