Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Climbing / All Day on a Meta AM 29?
  • chrisps
    Free Member

Heya,

I had been for a while thinking of getting a Yeti SB66 to replace my current bike.

However, I have (after reading Doug @ Basque’s review) been considering a Meta AM 29 as I do quite fancy a 29er having always had 26ers.

Unfortunately I can’t demo one and am concerned about how suitable it would be for all day rides with a fair bit of climbing. Doug says that it climbs well, but does anyone have any further feedback? Its quite a heavy frame, do you notice the weight? I guess on technical climbs the 29 wheels help, but on fireroads?

Much appreciated!

Chris

Kuco

Not a 29 but used a meta SL 26″ for a week in Spain last year with Ciclo Montana that involved a lot of fire road climbing and didn’t have any issues with it.

sq225917
    Free Member

I run a Meta sx 26″ with 180 fox forks on it and a 2×10, that still climbs fine. You know you’re pushing some metal up the hill but it’s still perfectly doable.

br
    Free Member

A bit heavy aren’t they, frame-wise?

chrisps
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies; sounds promising.

Yeah, the frame weight is what I am concerned about; at 8.1lbs (quoted), it seems like quite a lot of metal to move up the hill!

steve_b77
    Free Member

Let’s be honest it’s probably ‘only’ about 2lbs heavier than much more expensive long travel probably carbon 29’er frames.

Consider it this way, a pair of cheap 29’er tubes can easily weigh a pound between them and if you’re truly concerned about weight that’s where it’ll hurt you most.

A change of saddle from an OE sofa to something Italian can save you 1/2lb without even trying.

My Giant Anthem X1 in medium is just under 5 1/2lbs and that’s a 100mm XC frame that sure as hell isn’t designed for the stuff a meta AM can handle.

weeksy

Yes they’re heavy,impossible to argue.

Drop the wheels, they’re crzy heavy, a set of hope/crest make a massive difference, as does losing the Nevegal rubber which is also heavy.

The CTD front and rear makes a massive difference to climbing, but the adjuster for the rear is horrible to reach so my rear stays in T for most of the rides.

If you’re near Berks you’re more than welcome to spend a few hours on my Large mate.

Obviously its amazing downhill in AM scenarios, but its acceptable uphill and XC, without being brilliant.

chrisps
    Free Member

I hadn’t thought about the difference that tubes would make on a 29er actually. I was planning on running tubeless with Specialized Roval Control Carbon wheels to minimise the weight pain.

Have to admit, I have always used the “OE” saddle that I got on my very first MTB as it is dead comfy, but hadnt considered the weight!

weeksy; thanks for the input. I do go to Berks quite a lot actually, so may take you up on that! I presume that you have ridden it around Swinley? How does it feel on the tightly wooded twisting part of the red? I have heard that it is really agile for a 29er, so I presume that you don’t really notice the big wheels too much? Out of interest, have you ridden many other AM type bikes (thinking of climbing comparison to other bikrs). I am riding a Kona Cadabra (26er) at the minute which is pretty good on climbs (certinaly faster than my old Trek Fuel Ex).

Thanks again 🙂

Scamper
    Free Member

As above my AM 26 frame was 8.1lbs giving a bike of around 33lbs when loaded up with reverb, flows and lyriks. I’m unfit at the moment but for me it climbs fine in a sit back and admire the scenery kind of way.

sbibby1988
    Free Member

I have an 26″ am and have smoked all sorts uphill!
    im reasonably fit i suppose but no animal! especially around swinley, never before have i seen so many expensive bikes being pushed up hill!
    I have ridden an sb66 however and that did feel a bit more nimble on the climbs…

br
    Free Member

I have an 26″ am and have smoked all sorts uphill!
    im reasonably fit i suppose but no animal! especially around swinley, never before have i seen so many expensive bikes being pushed up hill!

If memory serves me correctly there is only one hill that it is acceptable to be pushing up at Swinley (the one that if you wanted to do an easterly loop out of the Labyrinth). And that is no more than a 3-4 minute climb.

Kuco

Don’t find the weight of the frame a problem though I did dump the original saddle and changed the wheels to Easton Havens running tubeless.

sbibby1988
    Free Member

b r your memory does serve you correctly, i do climb that hill too, but on the granny.
    You would be amazed at the quantity of flash ti 29 hardtails and carbon bronsons etc you see being pushed.

weeksy

Saddle is yukky, but pretty.

OP, not ridden it there, only bought in Jan, had it at BPW and local xc stuff, been on 29ers for years now so wheel size doiesnt even enter my thoughts. Its not as quick uphill as the Spearfish I admit, the gearing threw me lots initially as a 36t middle ccoinfuysed me from my usual 32t.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

If you were thinking about a sb66, and are now thinking of getting a 29er, how about a sb95.
    I might be biased though.

chrisps
    Free Member

Thanks for all the input. Agreed that pushing up at Swinley is not acceptable :). I guess my main concern is how it feels on sustained climbs on big mountains and if it would spoil my overall enjoyment.

Sounds like it probably wouldnt though…

I would love an SB95 but unfortunately it works out about £1000 more than the AM29 once built up :(. Commencal are doing very good deals on frame at the minute.

swanny853

Without wishing to threadjack, how do you find tyre clearance on the rear of the meta 29? I suppose a good benchmark to ask would be have you tried any of the following- Ardent 2.4, Hans dampf, RQ2.2?

Cheers

weeksy

I’ve not fitted anything bigger than the Nevegals that come on it. However they rubbed early on, but part of that was the shock protector/sock and part was the chainstay protector. I trimmed the chainstay protector as it’s about 10mm thick, (I later removed it and fitted a standard one), moved the shock protector up a bit, no rubbing. I’ve got about 5mm on both sides even when soft pressures. Recalling how big a 2.4 Ardent was, I don’t know 100% if it would fit or rub, I’d suspect it would rub. However, the Nevegals are pretty beefy, in all honesty, they’re certainly big and bulky enough for my needs anyway.

swanny853

Cheers for the reply. I don’t suppose I could be cheeky and ask if next time its easy you could take a photo and remail it to me please? I can’t find anything on the internet from quite the angle I want- example tyre clearance photo

Which forks do you have fitted?

Cheers again

weeksy

I may have one already mate… give me a minute.

I’ve got the Fox 32 CTD’s fitted.

weeksy

weeksy

That’s it with a Maxxis High Roller 2.1 on there.

Slogo
    Free Member

Ive got a meta 29 am frame for sale. Its a great bike, I don’t seem to find it that heavy. its comes alive on the downs!

swanny853

That’s brilliant, thanks! Doesn’t look too bad there really.

weeksy

The strardard chainstay protector is a big bendy affair that covers all oif it. Once that comes off the room grows lots.

sbibby1988
    Free Member

I run ardent 2.4s on my 26″ and theres plenty of room on that… I would presume the 29 would be similar?

sq225917
    Free Member

The 26 and 29 are the same bend between shock mount and tyre area, I run dirty dans on 33mm rims on mine with plenty of space..

swanny853

Ok, cheers folks! If I get one I want to be able to run something decent sized in there. Sq225917, do you mean its essentially only the length of the stays from the tyre back that changes?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Climbing / All Day on a Meta AM 29?’ is closed to new replies.