Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Climbers advice for a newbie please!
  • peterfile
    Free Member

+1 for getting some mileage in.

Watch how other climbers move and try to copy it. Don’t be afraid to ask someone to give a few basic pointers as you climb, most climbers are happy enough to give advice provided they’re not in the middle of something.

Pay close attention to your foot placements, the actual part of your foot which touches the hold. someone once put lots of corks on foot holds on a traverse and the aim was to get across without disturbing the corks. It really makes you delicate and precise with your feet. Watch a good climber, their feet are cat like when positioning.

Get out on to real rock as soon as you can. Some people love the indoor climbing wall, but for many the difference when they get outside is like going from an exercise bike to a jaunt round a beautiful area on an MTB – no comparison. It’s like a whole world opens up to you, particularly if you already enjoy a bit of time in the mountains. I remember the first time I looked up at Agag’s Grove on buachaille etive mor (one of my favourite mountains), I almost peed myself with excitement and anticipation.

Once you’ve spent your first day on rock I guarantee you will have just found something that’s going to fill your life for at least the next decade 🙂

A bit of coaching or a more experienced partner is advisable if you are heading to rock.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Has anyone mentioned down climbing instead of being lowered off?

Cougar

A wall and rock are two very different experiences. The snobbery around ‘real’ climbing versus a wall is probably fairly analogous(*) to the snobbery of ‘real’ MTBing vs trail centres, and a lot of climbers view indoor centres as training for the real thing.

Truth be told, I like climbing walls (and trail centres), there’s definitely room in my life for both. Especially with our climate. Real rock is ace, there’s nothing quite like your first outing on Yorkshire gritstone (mine cost me a pair of climbing shoes as I bounced down the face on my toes). But don’t let anyone diss you for using climbing walls, they’re tremendous fun.

(* – what a word! Get in.)

peterfile
    Free Member

Down climbing is an art in itself 🙂

A skill worth its weight in gold (or potentially skin and bones), but one which generally fills me with dread on rock!

glupton1976
    Free Member

Peterfile – next time you’re at Ibrox climbing centre (if you go there) try down climbing the big overhanging lead wall, obviously unclipping as you descend. That’ll make for good entertainment for you

ianv
    Free Member

Ask the question on ukbouldering, there are some really good climbers there and you will get good advice.

Imo, footwork comes with practice but upperbody/finger strength is key to progression. Work on these, and don’t bother with courses.

peterfile
    Free Member

Peterfile – next time you’re at Ibrox climbing centre (if you go there) try down climbing the big overhanging lead wall, obviously unclipping as you descend. That’ll make for good entertainment for you

ha! Is that even possible? I can’t even reach the top of the right hand overhang never mind down climb it!

glupton1976
    Free Member

I used to be able to do that when I was climbing there 3 times/wk a few years back. Dave MacLeod did laps of it for fun…

Spin
    Free Member

Plenty of folks do laps on the big wall at Ibrox. It has been campused up and down.

Nipper99
    Free Member

The best tip I can give is get outside as soon as possible and in all weathers. Get onto the sharp end as soon as possible (lots of diffs v.diffs) and build up the milage – the muscle grouping and mindset yoo will develop on an indoor wall is completely different to that required for trad outside.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Sent my first F6b tonight 😀

mattsccm
    Free Member

Get the hours in. On plastic if you must. Easy. then join a club that wants to know beginners.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Climbers advice for a newbie please!’ is closed to new replies.