Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Climate deal – arrogance of man?
  • wanmankylung
    Free Member

How on earth can they claim that they’re goingt to limit temperature increases to 2C? As if human have that amount of control over the planet that we live on.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Scientific predictions ?
    Guesswork ?
    Much better than doing nothing ?

In many respects you are right @wannas we could be in the midst of a naturally warming cycle which is unstoppable

Junkyard
    Free Member

the trolls be a trolling and YAWN

bearnecessities

Burn at source.

alpin
    Free Member

was listening to the radio and the woman was gushing on about how amazing that everyone has agreed on whatever it is they have agreed on….. surely we can only gush about it when it actually transpires that everyone is working together.

and agreed…. how they are going to stop a 2°C rise is beyond me…. like trying to hold back the tides….

footflaps

The cynic in me just sees this as spin – loads of talk and promises with **** all actually happening.

Although the current low oil price is achieving far more than these talks ever will..
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/dec/11/cheap-oil-climate-change-fossil-fuel-extraction-tar-sands

jambalaya
    Free Member

@footflaps I would have thought low oil price would encourage more burning of it. The logic in the Guardian piece is falwed as soon as the oil price rises again due to exhasution of cheaper oil it the har/shale production will pick up and it will get extracted/burnt. Alternatives will take some market share but we are going to keep burning oil

GrahamS

It’s a target isn’t it? A goal? Makes sense to me.

As if human have that amount of control over the planet that we live on.

That’s just the same as the “climate change can’t possibly be man-made because man is puny compared to nature” argument.

If you accept the scientific consensus that man is (at least partially) responsible for the current climate change trends, then it doesn’t seem unreasonable to think that man must be responsible for limiting them.

Not going to do any harm trying is it?

(I agree though – the real issue is that it is all just talk and not much action).

wanmankylung
    Free Member

My point is simple – we dont have the control over the global temperature that politicians like to claim. What we do have control over is what we pump into the atmosphere. A pledge to cut emissions by X% would be far more realistic, attainable and worthwhile.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yes the price is plummeting of the dwindling resource due to massive demand

THM economics lessons have not been wasted then have they.

GrahamS

A pledge to cut emissions by X% would be far more realistic, attainable and worthwhile.

But if we express the goal like that then what happens if we do cut emissions by X% and it has some effect but not enough?

Politicians would say “Well, we met the goal” and we’d be back at square one.

Expressing it in temperature gives us a target that includes emissions, as well as other possible sources and natural variation.

So to me, that bit makes sense.

bearnecessities

STOP WITH THAT ****ING “OPINED” BUSINESS!

As you were.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

But if we express the goal like that then what happens if we do cut emissions by X% and it has some effect but not enough?

Well at that point we’d have empirical evidence that a reduction in emissions of X% had X effect and we’d have solid evidence to show what might actually make a difference.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Really is it that irritating ? Its not designed to be so what would you prefer?

piemonster

bearnecessities – Ranted apoplectically
    STOP WITH THAT ****ING “OPINED” BUSINESS!

As you were.

😀

bearnecessities

piemonster – tosspot

🙂

Meh, doesn’t matter what I think JY – just for some reason it irritates me – either just copy & paste, or mix it up a bit if you’re going to change. The same old ‘opined’ wants me to reach for the nearest loose floorboard and thwack you with it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

bearnecessities spake forth unto the masses;

Meh, doesn’t matter what I think JY – just for some reason it irritates me – either just copy & paste, or mix it up a bit if you’re going to change. The same old ‘opined’ wants me to reach for the nearest loose floorboard and thwack you with it.

Given how often Junky hits the old CtrlC/CtrlV, you’re going to be needing some more floorboards.

Junkyard
    Free Member

its auto set in poster blocker [singletrack world forum extender tool] i dont do it each time i just have a quote option nect to each poster that does this [ though i can change the word it uses and i chose that but it will do that for all posts

Junkyard
    Free Member

Better 😉

cloudnine
    Free Member

A 2 degree rise will have catastrophic consequences for certain species and possibly certain countries. A 2 degree rise is a failure and we should be ashamed at how badly we’ve **** over the planet.

But what ive learnt is that most people dont really give a shit.

bearnecessities

bearnecessities spake forth unto the masses

Reluctantly, I laughed.

jimmy

Given how f****d parts of the world are already and a population booming, this is more of a get out clause to future generations. “Look, WE tried… See? Says so here”.

ampthill

My point is simple – we dont have the control over the global temperature that politicians like to claim. What we do have control over is what we pump into the atmosphere. A pledge to cut emissions by X% would be far more realistic, attainable and worthwhile.

We are sort of arguing in cicrles really but…

I go to the doctor and they say you weigh 100kg you need to get your weight down to 90kg for your long term health. The doctor says try 20% less calories and we’ll review in 6 weeks. The action is the calorie reduction is the target is the weight loss

So the temperature rise is the target the reduction in emissions is the action. I think is a key feature is 5 year reviews precisely because they are allowing for us not knowing. So the emissions limits will be reviewed to meet the target

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Difference between your example and the climate example is that reducing weight has a body of evidence to support the fact that it’s easy to achieve, climate manipulation doesn’t.

bluehelmet
    Free Member

I’m glad they have actually come to an agreement, I’ve been distressed at the lack of coverage of climate affairs and since it is beyond any reasonable doubt that we are **** up the natural balance and there ain’t much we can do to reverse what has already gone before, maybe there is hope it won’t get too much worse, although I doubt it.

I appreciate I might be opining again, but isn;t that what we are all here for, so good to have someone so well versed in the ‘bleeding obvious” to point it out though, does he/she get out much?

bluehelmet
    Free Member

Not that this sill stop Boy George from screwing the renewable industry.

bikebouy
    Free Member

cloudnine – Member
    But what ive learnt is that most people dont really give a shit.

Yeah, you’re not wrong are you.

Pointless poncing in Paris just before Xmas, bet whoever organised that didn’t travel to it on a bike or walked or caught the bus or didn’t eat Cow off the menu or drank Gin form England and Tonic from Essex or Wine from New Zealand or Tomatoes from Isreal or rice from China or Salmon from Scotland or some pathetic froth squeezed all over the Salmon claiming it came from Seaweed in Indonesia..and didn’t turn the central heating on full chat with the hotel Windows open and have the TV on standby instead of turning it off when not watching it…Ohhhhh No…

Bunch of Xmas shoppers on a two week all expenses paid 5* trip to Paris, with their mistresses or concubines.

Pathetic.

A Pathetic Farce.
    🙄

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

The targets for limiting 2C rise give us a 50% chance of limiting warming by 2C.

That is all.

We actually need to be doing a shed-load MORE than this. BUT it’s a target – a goal – something we can all commonly focus on. It’s better than having no goal at all.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Climate deal – arrogance of man?’ is closed to new replies.