Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Clicking/knocking sound from rear shock area
  • _tom_
    Free Member

Have noticed that something is clicking or knocking intermittently on my Bullit. The shock is a 5th Element. I have a replacement pivot bearing set I can try fitting as I think they need changing anyway (slight play when pull the back end with my hands), but is there anything else I need to look at whilst I’ve got the frame apart? I can’t see any cracks but I’ll check again.

This has been happening for over a month now, hasn’t really got any worse or more frequent in that time and I think if it’s gonna fall apart it would have by now given what I was riding on it..

RustyMac

I’d check the shock bushes first, they are cheap as chips and a wear item. You would probably want to replace these when you do the bearings just so everything is new and shiny and they are only a quid or so each.

Which way are you getting the movement?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Take the BB and pedals off, clean the threads, grease them and re-assemble, they can tick/creak if theyre dry or dirty.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kaesae
    Free Member

Here’s how to check the bushes with the shock off the bike

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgudfcKYwPo[/video]

With the shock on the bike

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Luv_AymsCA[/video]

Bushes go more often than bearings

_tom_
    Free Member

Which way are you getting the movement?

I was doing it side to side. Just fitted the new bearings and tightened it all up. Seems fine now, no side to side play on the rear triangle and I haven’t managed to get it to make the knocking noise yet 🙂 Dunno if it needed the new bearings but I’ve had them lying around for ages and may be selling it soon anyway!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Clicking/knocking sound from rear shock area’ is closed to new replies.