Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Clicking on high torques – Short list?
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

Just acquired a Ribble winter bike to commute to work on in the winter through the sh1te ridden back roads. Campag Veloce crankset triple (old 8 speed) with internal BB (almost new), new chain, shifts perfectly and no chain jumping or suck.

The clicking is getting worse. Only evident at higher torques/out the saddle. Drive side only. Newish Pedals, tightened QR’s.

So on my list of things to do are:

Remove crank arms, clean, bit of grease, replace.
    Remove BB, clean, grease threads, replace.
    Check chainring bolts (but click on every chainring)

Am I missing anything else?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Casette loose, freehub failing?

firestarter
    Free Member

I had this on my road bike took ages to find. It was my seat. I tool it off gave the rails a clean put a smear of grease on the rails and it went. I’d had pedals apart and cranks bb out .

tragically1969
    Free Member

I thought this was going to be another should i shouldn’t i torque wrench question, most dissapointed…

Is it coming from the drivetrain for sure ?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Haven’t tried tightening up the cassette and I’ll check the freehub body for play but seems to be running sweet as a nut. Its strange its only on the drive side (cannot make it click no matter how hard I push on the non-driveside). I don’t think its the saddle as replaced it when I got the bike and it clicks out the saddle?

@Tragic – not necc. Click in drive side stroke about 4’oclock?

clubber
    Free Member

Most bizarre one I found was a very dry seatpost creaking in the frame when out of the saddle!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Pedal threads?

How stiff is the frame, could it be the frame flexing enough to knock the indexing out causing the chain to rub against the next sprocket? Check by indexing slightly towards the higher gears and see if it still does it.

Slightly mismatched chain and cassette wear?

foxyrider
    Free Member

tinas – Yup could be as its a new chain on an old crank – cassette is OK I think but “you never know with cassettes” 😉

I will check the seat post and clean it up. It is a ribble 7005/winter bike frame so is pretty stiff. 🙂 I think I might be spending a bit of time over the weekend now 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

my 456 did it with a new chainring and old chain

cynic-al
    Free Member

£20 on bb, crank bolt or pedal threads.

TINAS you are making your first post up yes?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Well I can’t remove my crank easily now as I have stripped the threads on the crank using the extractor 🙁 However my rear mech was squealing like mad this morning as I needed to replace my lower jockey wheel (bushing totally worn by previous owner ans grease didn’t help much 😉 ) so we shall see if that makes any difference. I haven’t had a chance to check the cassette but tightened everything else up and still clicks – I still reckon its the BB/taped axle/crank interface but still looking 🙂

woody2000

My Ribble clicked because it had a crack in the BB shell/down tube interface area. HTH 😕

tragically1969
    Free Member

As above could be seat post, worth removing, cleaning and greasing, i have been convinced of drivetrain clicks when its been skewers, bars, saddle rails etc. to coin a crap overused management phrase, time to think out of the box !

woody2000

Also check rear mech hanger if it has a replaceable one

cynic-al
    Free Member

tightening the cranks does not require thei removal.

foxyrider
    Free Member

There is quite a bit of flex in the frame I have noticed so could be anywhere.

Cynical – of course but I wanted to remove them, clean up the interface, little bit of grease and re-tighten 🙂

Checked the mech hanger and tightened the bolt yesterday – Will check the seatpost & Saddle at the weekend as well as the cassette but I think I may have to live with it 🙁

Woody – checked it over for cracks but I doubt it as it hardly been ridden but you never know 😉

soobalias
    Free Member

are you sure its not your knees?

foxyrider
    Free Member

LOL – well they click on any of my bikes 😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

Isnt this the Ribble with the paintwork cracks?

foxyrider
    Free Member

No bigyinn its yet another one 😉 I got a second hand winter bike (£190) with old but functional Capag Veloce 8 speed groupset. Just needs a little TLC and jockey wheels replaced 🙂

The Sportive is doing fine (crack has not moved in the last 4 months but Ribble said they are happy to replace it) That’s going back to Ribble this weekend to be exchanged as I have a backup road bike now 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Clicking on high torques – Short list?’ is closed to new replies.