Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Clicking instead of nice rubbing noise – yet another disc brake question.
  • pealy
    Free Member

I’ll keep it brief, when I apply my front brake it makes a sort of clicking or ticking noise instead of the rubbing noise I would expect. Is that normal? I have only just fitted it so does it just need bedding in? (braking power is pretty poor at the moment too, expect that to improve with bedding)

It’s an untouched brand new Shimano XT lever/hose/caliper with a Superstar rotor on a WTB hub.

Thanks

damo2576
    Free Member

I’ve had this and it was internals of caliber rubbing on outer edge of disk.
    Fixed it by adding a washer to the mount such that the caliper moves away by a mm or so.

druidh
    Free Member

Have you trapped the pad spring and bent it somehow?

carlos
    Free Member

Could be the pad retaining spring/clip catching the disc, I’ve had mine do that before.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I was gonna say worn out pads, but maybe not if they’re new!

PJay
    Free Member

The spring is certainly worth checking. I had constant noise from my LX brakes after a pad change, it was a ‘tinny’ sounding noise. To cut a long story short I re-fitted the old spring (which looked identical and came with the same brand/model of pads) and everything was find again.

pealy
    Free Member

Good feedback – thanks, I’ll go have a look.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Lose bolt somewhere in the setup?

McHamish
    Free Member

I have that…it’s annoying.

I don’t have any loss in brake power though.

pealy
    Free Member

Cheers guys – I’m hoping the power thing is just a bedding-in issue, everything is new.

oxym0r0n

Sam thing here – it was the caliper rubbing on the rotor – try a re-adjust and tighten?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Clicking instead of nice rubbing noise – yet another disc brake question.’ is closed to new replies.