• This topic has 9 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by ctrl.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Clicking headset?
  • ctrl
    Free Member

Hey all

Just wondering if anyone might be able to shed some light. I recently replaced my stem with a new one and ever since I’ve noticed a lot of clicking coming from my headset (or at least that area). It gets worse when I apply more force to compress the forks so when I stand up to cycle or pedal with more force.

Bit of a novice question but am I right in thinking you tighten up the top stem bolt first until there is no play and then the side ones that hold the stem on the the forks?

Could a possible cause be over tightening the bolts? Would that cause clicking? Or is it time for a new headset already (bike is 4 months old)?

Cheers all.

unovolo
    Free Member

Tighten the centre bolt in the Ahead top cap to preload the headset bearings, it doesnt need to be mega tight as that will cause premature wear to the bearings.

Once thats adjusted alternate between tightening up each of the side bolts on the stem ,again they dont need to be ba5tard tight as you will ovalise the steerer and potentially risk snapping the bolts.

Regards the clicking it could be the headsets too loose/too tight, Dirt or a crack somewhere flexing.

I’d start by dismantling the front end and giving all the headest parts a good clean/regrease and reassemble then carry on from there.

cakefacesmallblock

I once spent a couple of hours trying to find a ‘ click ‘ from my headset.
    Only to discover a cable outer gently tapping the headtube. 😳

ctrl
    Free Member

haha I might have to check my cables 😆

And cheers unovolo, will try and give it a strip and re-grease at some point to see if that solves it.

Cheers

ctrl
    Free Member

Hey all

Rather than start a new thread thought I’d bump this. Still seem to be having this problem and it all started when I replaced my original stem.

I’ve checked for cracks and as far as I can tell everything seems to be okay. I’ve stripped the headset apart, cleaned and then re-greased. Made sure it’s all sitting correctly. And yet still clicking.

Before I put the top cap on the steerer tube sits about 2-3mm below the spacer. Is this okay? Or should I have a bigger or smaller spacer?

Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this or have dealt with similar before? Really don’t fancy a trip to my LBS so they can keep my bike for 2 weeks just to tell me they can’t find anything wrong 😥

billyboulders
    Free Member

I had a click that sounds like the one you describe that was driving me mad for ages. Eventually tracked it down to the faceplate on the stem, took it off cleaned the bolts put a spot of grease under the head of each one and did them up evenly and it was cured. Might be worth a try?

toofarwest

Also try a light smear of grease on the surface of the stem clamp/bars.

alanf
    Free Member

If you put the front brake on and rock the forks back and forward do you get a cluncking sensation? If you do then the headset bearings are not being compressed enough. Most likely the new stem means you are clamping the top cap against the steerer tube rather than against the stem/spacers. Try adding a bigger spacer above the stem so the top cap isn’t going to contact the steerer and reset the stem after preloading the headset bearings. The new stem could have changed where the top cap is in relation to the steerer.

senorj

What alanf said.
    Bigger spacer on top cap.

ctrl
    Free Member

Thanks billyboulders. Will give this a shot in the morning before heading out.

alanf – there’s no clunking so to speak once I’ve tightened everything up. Although after each ride or maybe every 2 rides or so there is play when I rock the bike back and forth. It all seems to keep coming loose. Could this all be related to the clicking as well?

Will try the bigger spacer too. Cheers 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Clicking headset?’ is closed to new replies.