Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 198 total)
  • CLIC24, who’s on board?
  • anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I get the feeling the forecast will chanmge a dozen times between now and Saturday. I’m not going to worry too much, but I will bung some mud tyres in the boot on Friday 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

Meh, I’m a stubborn git when I want to be. It was atrocious weather in 2007 and I was happy as larry boshing through the filth. I’d still rather grovel through a bog than loop back on the road, but there isn’t much that can be done. I hope Neil’s talks with various landowners pans out for 2010.

Yeah, I know the area quite well – a better route could easily be done on existing bridleways if he could get permission.

There’s a certain pleasure from ploughing through the filth – I’m just not sure I want to do it over 24h!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I like the fire road climb, gives one time to focus the mind.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I might be breaking out the mp3s, else I’ll go doolally I think ;o)

xc-steve
    Free Member

I’m coming, Number 103 – Blue Chameleon, Gold Hubs… I hope by Sunday lunch time its still that colour!

Anyone got the link for met check?

Glad to hear lots of photographers are coming, might actually have a decent photo of me on my bike!

hillsplease

On the bright side even in the filth more of it is rideable than the one time it was a ‘proper’ BCF race. It was a nice field to ride around (with a bit of MX course and wood, but in a team of 4 after 17 laps apiece it was a bit wearing. Oddly entertaining that only about half a dozen folk of the 3-400 rode it. Including the singlespeeder in a tutu. I remain in awe.

We’ll be reet.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Yep, soloing. I really don’t much fancy a repeat of 2007 though. Fingers crossed…

I don’t suppose any of the Bristol people are driving up on Saturday morning and would be willing to give me a lift from Temple Meads?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Have they chaged the course since I did it in 2000? B@stard climb flat bit along the top, fast descent, flat bit along the bottom, repeat?

My first every MTB race, done solo and came 9th. I was so naive that I thought solo meant you weren’t allowed people along to help you so told friends and family to keep away until 30 minutes before the end.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Hillspealse – that was an “interesting” course! Think I rode that hill twice and figured walking/running was faster!

Hats off to that manic single speeder!

xc-steve
    Free Member

For those of you who get annoyed at the stupid JavaScript closing the box!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I don’t suppose any of the Bristol people are driving up on Saturday morning and would be willing to give me a lift from Temple Meads?

*waits for KINGTUT to offer*

We’re heading up Friday BD, but my Dad is making his way through on Saturday morning, so if you’re really stuck I can ask him to swing by BTM and find you. Not sure which vehicle he is bringing with him though. Of course, you’re more than welcome to swing by the LVIS encampment for tea and banter.

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

Im riding, did a dare with a mate to ride solo and see who could do the most laps – somehow though he never entered so billy no mates is riding solo with no mates there either 🙁

Doing it SS as well, not sure how well I am going to cope but been training – aiming for 10 laps!

Im on the green Dialled Love / Hate so say hi!!

BigDummy
    Free Member

Thanks ADH. I can ride up Coombe Bottom from Yatton station without inordinate bother, but if anyone happened to be going that would be a great help. 🙂

Jackass – it is a pretty nearly perfect singlespeed course. The long climb is soul-sapping if you can keep changing down, and life-affirming if you’ve got the muscles to just stand up on the pedals.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

What time does your train come in bigdummy?

xc-steve
    Free Member

I’m driving up from Plymouth Saturday Morning or Friday night if its real nice weather… if anyone would like a lift share petrol etc?

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

Yeah I rode it on wednesday for the first time on the SS (have riden the course many times including Clic last year) and my gearing seemed pretty good. I get to pump all the downs and the fire road climb wasn’t an issue (even managed the last bit up to the gate when you go across the top).

Anyone riding with Neil on Wednesday night, seen something on Facebook?

BigDummy
    Free Member

Mike – 09:40 at BTM.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Grab a coffee and I’ll meet you outside the station at about 10 – 10.15am, what bike are you bringing? Just to make sure it will fit on the roof rack.

BigDummy
    Free Member

You, Sir, are a gentleman, thanks very much indeed.

Bog-standard Inbred. It’s never met a roof rack it didn’t like.

See you Saturday. 🙂

KINGTUT
    Free Member

No problem.

Ti29er
    Free Member

WCA.
    In answer to your question earlier:
    I’m travelling overnight after my job finishes in the Ludlow area at midnight on Saturday.
    Meaning I’ll be on-site for the morning session from about 06:00hrs.
    In all likelihood I won’t even ride & return to N London not having even turned a wheel in pleasure!
    I’ll take your pictures and a good % of the proceeds go to the CLIC charity.
    So in my case, I hope to gain a little (a tank of fuel costs some £50) but provide the organisers with freegratis use of my images and hopefully riders will like the resultant images and contribute to the effort being made by buying on-line!
    I belive that is a win-win-win scenario. Last year I did at least manage 6 laps (?), this year I might be better à pied !
    Tim

iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

What gearing for a mortal on a singlespeed?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

32:16 if you’re fit.

jimmerhimself
    Free Member

Somehow I’ve been talked into it again for the fifth time and I am hoping that the unique Mendips weather system works in our favour this year.

2007 was miserable, although my Small Block 8 rear tyre had a ludicrous amount of traction through nearly all of the sections apart from the final traverse across Black Down. If it’s pouring down again you’ll find all of Team Gravy propping up the bar I reckon;-)

As for whether I’m doing it for the riding or for charity – neither really, it’s just a chilled out weekend with my mates more than anything. CLIC still has a really unique atmosphere and has none of the guff that comes along with the formal 24 hour races….although I dare say some plonker will try and pass where there’s no space, hollering “On your right” at some point 😉

sharki
    Free Member

If anyone is heading up the motorway past Bilgewater on fri evening or sat morn give me a lift?

If not i may ride up and mingle/take photos through the weekend.

And perhaps drink and eat anyones food, by gate crashing their camps…

Ta muchly dears.

GaryLake
    Free Member

I do it for the event but I have taken the fundraising fairly seriously and managed to clock something £430!

I think even if it’s really cack, I’m going to run 2.1 high rollers – I’ll pack the ‘rakers but whenever I run them I end up noticing how few muddy patches there are compared to the insane dragging on the fireroads and drained sections – the high rollers stay clean anyway.

I’m deffo packing the SS now. I’ll be running 32:18 but I’m only little and only a SS parttimer…

slugwash
    Free Member

Sharki, I’m driving up from the Totnes area early on Saturday morning and Shinythings is leaving Newton Abbot for Clic at ‘around teatime‘ on Friday if that’s any help.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I’d be great to see you if you’re heading up sharks.

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

I ride 36:20 (1.8) which is OK, spin out on the road section but thinking my legs will appreciate the break come Sunday morning 😉

sharki
    Free Member

Cheers ADH.

I’ll get there, nowt else on and be great to get even more pi$$ed of by not riding.

slugwash
    Free Member

Sharki, I can’t seem to get messenger on the old work computers. And my e-mails to your hotmail address are bouncing back. I’ll be passing Bridgewater around 8 – 8.30 on Saturday morning. I’ll probably pull into the Sainsburys there to pick up some supplies. Let me know if you need a lift.

sharki
    Free Member

I’ll mail you soon, if i manage you engage my brain after some poopy news today, i’ll sort it laters.

sounds a plan, i’m only 10 mins from stainsburys..

GaryLake
    Free Member

Assuming the rain doesn’t turn it in to a total cluster f*ck, what’s a good time around the Clic course? I’m good for low 30s around the Bristol Bike fest if helps (thinking LVIS boys might have an idea here)

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

They don’t post times, its not a race, but as a rough rule of thumb 40 mins is quick, 50 mins is good, 1 hour is steady. BikeCity last year knocked out 35 laps in the 24 hours to win it, we did 26.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

we did 26.

We were awesome.

GaryLake
    Free Member

35!!! Blimey! I think we’re aiming for 24…

I’m aware it’s not a race and I won’t be doing an tw*ttish “on your left” barging through but in my head it’ll still be a race and I’ll a) want to do as many laps as poss and b) be the fastest on my team (sadly I won’t be, probably the slowest actually) 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

“(sadly I won’t be, probably the slowest actually)”

Oi, that’s my job!

And how the f*ck did they manage to do 35 laps – did they have pros riding for them or something? It reminds me of when I got overtaken (like I was standing still) on the Bristol Bikefest a few years back by a geezer riding for an LBS. Turned out it was Paul Lazenby…

xc-steve
    Free Member

Don’t want to sound like a Troll here however shouting “on your left” is that really so offensive? What would you rather people to say?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

And how the f*ck did they manage to do 35 laps

Very fast and very organised.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Don’t want to sound like a Troll here however shouting “on your left” is that really so offensive? What would you rather people to say?

I think he means people who say on your left and barge through a split second later without waiting for a suitable place to pass or give the rider in front time to move.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 198 total)

The topic ‘CLIC24, who’s on board?’ is closed to new replies.