Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Clegg on Lords Reform
  • druidh
    Free Member

Is there not there something ironic about the Liberal Democrats dropping support for the constituency boundary review which is aimed at improving democracy be even-ing up how many voters it takes to elect an MP?

footflaps

Think they’re just being pragmatic, can’t win this battle right now, so a strategic retreat to continue the war.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I support an elected House of Lords because I believe that those who make the laws of the land should be elected by those who have to obey the laws of the land. Clegg

That would be the House of Commons, Nick. The “Lords” scrutinises and amends the gibberish that comes out of the elected House.

An unelected House of Lords flies in the face of democratic principles and public opinion. Clegg

Wind. An elected Lords would become a second house of amoral PR-types and lawyers.

The Lords is a mess, but Clegg’s way is completely wrong IMO. [and I’m an ardent Liberal BTW]

cynic-al
    Free Member

The boundary changes are Gerrymandering.

jota180
    Free Member

Think they’re just being pragmatic, can’t win [strike]this[/strike] any battle [strike]right now[/strike], so [strike]a strategic retreat to continue the war.[/strike] bending over again

cranberry
    Free Member

The boundary changes are Gerrymandering.

I heartily agree – the idea that it should take approximately the same number of people to elect each MP is blatantly anti-Labour err, democratic.

unklehomered
    Free Member

New boundaries were pretty stupid though. I live just outside Pateley Bridge, I was going to be in the constituency of North Leeds?!?!?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Clegg on Lords Reform’ is closed to new replies.