Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • cleat wedges, anybody use them for MTB or road cleats? – advice & experiences?
  • Vortexracing

Noticing on my road bike and on my MTB that my left foot is always trying to 'twist' outward, this is causing a problem on my road cleats. I'm assuming because they have less float and more contact area, but is also noticable on my MTB shoes.

Does anybody use the wedges that fit under cleats (either road or MTB) and more importantly, do they work?

Advice on types and makes for both MTB and road cleats very welcome

Ta

Chuck

coatesy
    Free Member

Recently tried a set from Cyclefit that go inside the shoe. Was experiencing similar problems to you, turned out to be a fore/aft cleat positioning problem, but the wedges helped to eliminate a possible cause.Would only recommend them if you definitely think you have a problem, not trying them just to see what happens.

Vortexracing

It seems to be the same problem with both MTB and road cleats/shoes.

my foot wants to twist outboard and puts pressure on the outside of the shoe. When i deliberately twist it back inboard it goes away, but I can feel the twist in my knee.

Vortexracing

Shamless early morning bump.

radoggair
    Free Member

can you not just set your cleats up on your shoes so they sit comfortably for you at your required angle??

coatesy
    Free Member

Think he's talking about the shoe tilting over to the outside. Why not try the insole type I used,easily removable if it doesn't work,and only cost about £5 for the pair(don't think you'll find them on their website, you may have to phone).

Vortexracing

coatseys is right, maybe I didn't explain correctly, the foot is tilting over to the outside.

I got some insoles for the MTB spesh shoes off the classifieds yesterday.

not sure my other shoes have a lot of room in them for insole wedges.

I did think about using washers under one bolt in the cleat to try and tilt it before committing to £25 for wedges.

tinsy
    Free Member

There was a thread on this a while back, le mond wedges, ive done a search for that but cant find it, there was another more obscure name being used that I cant remember, if anyone can remind me maybe the thread is still active.

Anyhow the gist of it was that when the guy actually went to a cyclefit place the cure was actually the opposite of adding the wedge in the usual way, so reckon coatesy advice is right and you need to get some proper help rather than trial and error.

Was it you that posted the other thread coatesy?

chucky, be careful the BG shoes have a 1.5 degree of wedge built into them, at least they used to.

Edit.. I worked it out on CAD how much was needed uder 1 side of the cleat to match the 1.5 deg spesh build in and it was a lot lot less than the thickness of a washer, more like just a few 100ths of a mm..

ampthill

Usually when I'm on here I think WOW some people just spend money like water

I think getting your body work is quite important and not a thing to get wrong

Try the insoles, but if your going to try tilting the your feet pay soem one to make sure your making things better

tinsy
    Free Member

Yup Spesh still use wedges/built in angle on their BG shoes.

http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/bodygeometry/

rootes1

specialized also do extra insoles in differing thicknesses

Vortexracing

Take your point about correct fitting as opposed to the trial and error method.

With that in mind anybody know of a cycle fit service in the northwest?

cheers

Onzadog
    Free Member

Any update or feedback on this from anyone? I think it's something I could do with investing in.

Vortexracing

when I asked if anybody did cycle fitting (especially shoes/feet) in the Northwest, I was pointed to Paul hewitt in Leyland, however they only seem to do road bikes.

Stil looking for someone in the North who does this

Onzadog
    Free Member

I was going to give Mike at call today and see if he has any interest in helping mountain bikers. He's near Warwick I think. 150 mile round trip for me if he does but probably worth it if I can get it sorted. Had a chat to cyclefit the other weekend and I have to say, I wanted overly inspired.

I've got some cleat shims and some in the shoes wedges along with a new pair of shoes. If all else fails it will have to be trial and error but some help with a proper fit would be nice.

MrSmith
    Free Member

the specialized BG system fit should be available from a shop near you?
    i use their wedges and footbeds. you can buy them off the shelf or be fitted for them as part of a bike fit.
    i had mine fitted by cycleworks in leatherhead but presume there must be a shop in the north that offers a similar service.

rOcKeTdOg

Mike in Warwick? who, what, where?

*posted from armchair in Warwick*

hopster
    Free Member

I have some wedges (bought from cyclefit) fitted to my road shoes and also use specialized insoles. Used to suffer with pain on the outside of the foot and its gone now. Been using this set up for about 2 years.

I find its much less of a problem on the mountain bike.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘cleat wedges, anybody use them for MTB or road cleats? – advice & experiences?’ is closed to new replies.