Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cleat positioning
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

Where should they be on your feet? ball of the big toe? How do you set yours up?

Rickos
    Free Member

Mine are set as far back as possible and pointing at my little toe…or is it my big toe?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

why as far back as possible?

stratobiker
    Free Member

I put then central in the slot fore and aft. I tend to angle the toes out slightly. Left more than the right. I do that because it feel more comfortable/natural for me like that.

Olly
    Free Member

mine are right at the front of the slots, as far forward as possible, and i STILL cant get them under the balls of my feet.
    posibly cause ive got size 12 shoes and the slots are designed from the back of the shoe.

with the axel of the pedal directly under the ball of the foot is ideal i would say.
    i toe mine in (or is it out) so that my heel CANT rub the crank.

trailmonkey

Ball of the foot level with the crank arm in the 6 o’clock position. Angle of twistyness depends on what feels comfy for your knees.

Anthony
    Free Member

Sit on a table and let your feet hang as naturally as you can. Look at which way they point and try to mimic it with the angle of the cleats.

Inzane
    Free Member

Putting the cleats slightly back from the ball of the foot. Basically it balances your muscle groups better and lets you get more power to your pedals.

I used to have my cleats at the very front of the slots and moved them right to the back about 6 months ago. It takes a while to train the muscles to the new cleat position and I was able to lower my seat height (moving cleats back = shorter effective leg length) which makes riding technical stuff easier. Once the muscles get used to the cleat position I find I have more power and more endurance.

Have a read of these articles as to why.
    http://www.cyclefitcentre.com/pdf%20final%20docs/THINGS%20YOU%20MAY%20NOT%20HAVE%20KNOWN%20ABOUT%20BIKE%20POSITION_final.pdf

http://www.cyclefitcentre.com/pdf%20final%20docs/question_of_leverage.pdf

Rickos
    Free Member

I have mine back as far as possible cos that places them a bit behind the ball of my foot and makes downhilling and jumping and bombing about more comfortable. Having the cleats forward just feels weird and not very comfy.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Sit on a table and let your feet hang as naturally as you can. Look at which way they point and try to mimic it with the angle of the cleats.

That’s always worked for me too.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Rickos – took your advice – spot on dude. As far back as possible and heels slightly out 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cleat positioning’ is closed to new replies.