Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cleaning the oven door
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

We have a stainless steel oven door with a glass panel, how are we meant to clean it?

We can spend a fortune on patent stainless steel oven door cleaner but there has to be a better option.

We were told to try olive oil so now have a nice smeary, oily door and window.

Anything better?

tiggs121
    Free Member

Cillit Bang?

Can the glass panel be removed?

Stoner
    Free Member

eCloth is amazing on stainless steel.

Mr Muscle oven cleaner sprayed on glass is very good too. The foam one. Let it do it’s thing for a few minutes though. I use it on the wood burner stove door too.

Milkie
    Free Member

Razor blades for oven cleaning, use it as a scraper.

Hohum
    Free Member

IPA

DavidB
    Free Member

I use it on the wood burner stove door too

Stoner. Clean the glass using newspaper and ash, you’ll be amazed how well this works

Stoner
    Free Member

sounds like making filthy job of it! 🙂

Do you scrunch up some paper and use it to rub dry ash from the grate over the door then?

anc
    Free Member

Baby oil is good on the stainless it’s light so you can polish the surface up after you’ve cleaned it. Probably mess up the glass though, like the olive oil.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Pop round to do mine when you’re done there please WCA.

Cougar

Back when I was in my “povvy student doing minimum wage job” phase, I worked at Megabowl. All the diner fittings were brushed stainless steel, and we cleaned them (nightly) using powdered bleach.

Flaperon

Be careful if using one of those “magic eraser” sponges, as they’re actually very abrasive and you might end up with swirl marks all over the glass.

patentlywill
    Free Member

I’d be extremely carefulk about using anythinf abrasive on the glass. A couple of years ago about a week before christmas I decided to give the oven a spring clean and very gently used a metal spatula to scrape a stubborn bit off – next thing there was an almighty great bang and the tempered glass exploded sending glass crsytlas all over the kitchen. With only a few days left to christmas I sweated a bit until the replacement door glass came ….

thejesmonddingo

Patently,why not just turn the oven off until the new door arrived?
    Ian

DavidB
    Free Member

Do you scrunch up some paper and use it to rub dry ash from the grate over the door then?

Yep, was a tip given to us by the installer. The ash does not abrade the glassbut clears off all of the tar. I wouldn’t let Cillit Bang anywhere near mine given what it does to coins.

takisawa2

I did ours with an Oven Pride kit. The glass panel could be slid out. It just wiped off after 20 mins with the stuff on. The shelves get sealed inside a bag with some liquid. They also come up like new.
    Warning, the stuff seriously burns your skin if it splashes on.

Drac

Oven Pride is excellent.

Stoner what hell are you burning, I can clean ours with wet kitchen towel. If it’s badly tarred yeah dip the damp cloth in the soft ash and rub gently come up like new. Failing that open both air vents up on the stove for a bit once it starts going over about 250C it’ll make the glass look like new.

jenbe
    Free Member

try a little bit of engine degunker, works wonders!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Cleaning the oven door’ is closed to new replies.