Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cleaning sticky oily residue off the bike
  • MrNice
    Free Member

last night I cleaned the road bike but there’s some oily residue left on the lovely white paintwork. I don’t mind the mtb looking a state but I’m sure it’s breaking one of the rules to have the roadie like this. What do you find is best to get the oily stuff off without taking the paint with it? Cleaning products used so far are Fenwick’s on the frame and the chain.

atlaz
    Free Member

degreaser? I tend to use soap and water and elbow grease and it seems to come good. I used degreaser for something the other day and it was fantastic but more of a time saver than anything else.

rocketman
    Free Member

WD40

dunmail
    Free Member

+1 for WD40

Basically you are using a light hydrocarbon to remove a heavier one. Works for road tar as well. Spray on, leave a moment or two and wipe off with a j-cloth or similar. Repeat if necessary.

nuke

Halfords citrus aerosol degreaser…great stuff and the reason I still do the odd shop at halfords

MrsPoddy
    Free Member

Use any of the following Baby wipes the cheaper the better, nail varnish remover (removes everything except nail varnish) and WD40.

MrNice
    Free Member

thanks, I will give the WD40 a go tonight.

alibongo001

Also worth using a bit of car polish on the frame to stop it getting dirty again.

Apparently Silicone spray is good for this too!

chico66
    Free Member

GT85 smells nicer! 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Cleaning sticky oily residue off the bike’ is closed to new replies.