Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cleaning fabric inside a car/van – Whats the best way?
  • handyman153
    Free Member

Morning STW..

I have just purchased a new Van, Fiat Doblo LWB if that matters!

The previous owner did a shocking job of cleaning, and it is absolutely horrible inside. It looks like they just drenched the whole lot in water, and left it.
    Now the normal cleaning is fine, hoover and spray, it will come up great!

However the issue is with the fabric covered bulk-head and ceiling liner. This has obviously got wet, and now just smells mouldy! To the point of feeling physically sick when sitting inside.

So what is my best options for cleaning it?

I was considering taking it all out, then hiring a carpet cleaner with a hand attachment.. And using various detergents over and over again. While we’ve got this hired, we could do the seats too.
    Is this my best bet?
    Any good recommendations on the detergents?

For the record, I got the van super super cheap, and it runs fantastically. So i did buy it knowing about the cleanliness.

Thanks all
    J

rone

I just go microfibre or sponge with a little washing up liquid and then dry off with a free microfibre.

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah hire a carpet cleaner, it’s normally a hassle getting the damp out after but on the current weather it should be an ideal time to do it. I found the seats especially retain some damp for a good few days, which isn’t always a good look if you forget to put a waterproof seat cover on before driving if afterwards.

johndoh
    Free Member

Baby wipes. Lots of them.

Nico
    Free Member

Get some Dr Beckman Carpet Stain Remover from Sainsbury’s*

*Other supermarkets are available but may not stock it.

woffle
    Free Member

I used Valet Pro, a brush and a wet+dry vac last time I had to do something similar.

handyman153
    Free Member

Right then.. Carpet cleaner it is..

We considered the other suggestions, but I really think it’s to bad to do it by hand..

I’ve been reading a mumsnet (help!) thread about using Persil instead of the rediculously expensive Rug Doctor detergents..
    Anybody got any experience using this??

Thanks again
    J

Milkie
    Free Member

4L Rug Doctor £12.99
    Persil Small & Mighty 875ml £6.00

I’d be using the proper stuff and doing the house carpets too! 😉

maccruiskeen

However the issue is with the fabric covered bulk-head and ceiling liner. This has obviously got wet, and now just smells mouldy! To the point of feeling physically sick when sitting inside.

…. but you bought it anyway 😆

Cleaning headliners etc is a real pain in the chuff – just really tiring and whatever smelly gunk you’re trying remove just drips on you. I bought an ex-smokers car back in the late 90s thinking all I needed to do was clean it. After a full day just cleaning the bits of headliner I could could see / reach from the driver seat I gave up – drove to a scrap yard – and bought the whole interior from a similar car (seats, headliner etc) for £50 and swapped the whole lot over.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Cleaning fabric inside a car/van – Whats the best way?’ is closed to new replies.