Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • cleaning disk brakes?
  • daftvader
    Free Member

Evening. ..

Currently my xt brakes sound like a flock of banshees screaming the death of the Hampshire country side…
    So what to use to clan them? Mucoff disk cleaner or just give them a wipe over with some ipa???

Cheers

doodlebug
    Free Member

enigmas
    Free Member

Any branded disk brake cleaner or ipa will do,

May be worth cleaning the pads too or replacing them if they still sequel after that.

daftvader
    Free Member

Nice one. Cheers for that.

dannyh
    Free Member

Meths will do as well. Use a stiff toothbrush and then really rub the pads and discs hard with a clean rag. Re keying the pads to the discs with a few hard stops will also help.

tmb467
    Free Member

Spilt dot fluid over pads and rotor the other day…degreaser and a good clean and rinse then pads washed in fairy liquid and the residue burnt off on the hob

Refitted em and bedded em in and hey presto, no noise

slowboydickie

Recently mine stopped biting so cleaned with iPa and sanded sintered pads. All fine now.

Dibbs
    Free Member

The water and grit on todays Exmoor Explorer cleaned my rear pads right down to the backplates (they where nearly worn out anyway). 😉

GrahamS

Any branded disk brake cleaner or ipa will do,

I thought the common thinking (folklore?) was that auto brake cleaner was bad because it left a film of oil, which is beneficial (reduces squealing?) on the more powerful and hotter disc brakes of cars and motorcycles but not so great on bikes.

Anyway, IPA or bike brake cleaner (which is usually IPA anyway).

bigsurfer
    Free Member

That was some brake eating conditions I finished the last 3 miles with zero front brake and the back brake metal on metal heard a few others at the finish in a similar state.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘cleaning disk brakes?’ is closed to new replies.