Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cleaning a seat tube after sandblasting ?
  • renton
    Free Member

I had my frame samdblasted and powder coated and thought I had cleaned the frame quite well afterwards.

However after taking my seat post out I realised I haven’t done it well enough inside the seat tube and it has started to scratch my post to bits.

Do any of you have an idea on how to get rid of anything that is left beyond the bit you can see down the tube.

Thanks.

Steve

andyl
    Free Member

Rag on a rod with some IPA on it.

Are you sure they didn’t sand blast down the seat tube and it’s rough inside now?

Northwind

Chuck it in the bath- let it fill, empty, swirl around, repeat 10 million times. You’ll be amazed what comes out even with a frame that’s not been blasted.

Muc off (and probably others) make a conical brush which is brilliant for cleaning out tubes- if it’s a skinny seattube, you can remove the handle to get it in further. Poke it in with a rod, pull it out with the bit of string you’ve attached before you poked it in (don’t get that the wrong way round)

You might want to consider rinsing with a solvent too, in case there’s some stuck in grease.

renton
    Free Member

Nope they didn’t blast down the tube but it’s full of sand and stuff which looks as though it’s caked on !

The bikes built up so can’t put it in the bath I’m afraid !

I might take the bottom bracket out and try and jet wash it

acehtn
    Free Member

Know anyone that shoots ?

12 bore cleaning rod with the bronze brush on is quite handy.

Or a bit of PVC pipe or smaller diameter seat post with fine wet and dry wrapped round the end to buff off any stuck particles.

Hang the bike upside down, post out, buff away, dry crap should just drop out.

JoeG
    Free Member

Brake cylinder hone in a drill.

bencooper
    Free Member

Brake cylinder hone might be a bit harsh – and do they go small enough?

I use a flex hone for such things.

IHN

A bottle brush from Poundland.

Speshpaul

Boiling water – but put your wellies on.

finishthat
    Free Member

use a lap – split the end of some wooden dowel put a thin pan scourer
    in the split and use a drill to run it up and down the seat tube.

JoeG
    Free Member

bencooper – Member

Brake cylinder hone might be a bit harsh – and do they go small enough?

They have worked well for me. I’ve run them in 26.6 seat tubes.

I use a flex hone for such things.

I’ve found the brake cylinder hone to be cheaper, and since I use it only once in a huge while its good enough.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cleaning a seat tube after sandblasting ?’ is closed to new replies.