• This topic has 14 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by jonb.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cleaning a belfast sink…
  • z1ppy

Yep I’ve been to google, but some of the suggestions are a little off, so after some personnal recommendations.
    We have a ‘new’ style belfast sink and the base has been stained, by myself, leaving a roasting dish to soak in it. Before we attack it with brasso/wirewool/bar-keeper m8 (WTF is that?), anyone got any real life experience on cleaning them easily?

PS: G/f refuses to use a plastic bowl in her new sink, grrrrr…

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Ajax, as it’s a mild abrasive?

Clobber
    Free Member

Best thing i use is a bath rubber, google it…

matthewjb
    Free Member

Before we attack it with … bar-keeper m8 (WTF is that?),

I think it’s this in textspeak.

No idea if it works.

z1ppy

dave_rudabar – Member
    Ajax, as it’s a mild abrasive?

Well this is really the question… will an abrasive cleaner not cause more issues, as you create more scratches for dirt to stick to?

ebygomm
    Free Member

I’d try filling using washing soda as a first step. Fill sink with hot water, add washing soda, leave to stand. It’s definitley not going to do any harm and washing soda is dirt cheap.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

toothpaste

footflaps

Hot water and denture tablets? I use them to clean loads of stuff…

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Bleach?

Or use biological washing powder/liquid

Or, you can use steradent (or similar) to soak stains off but I guess you’d need a lot for a sink (DOH! Too slow)

But Flash Spray with Bleach would be my first stop.

z1ppy

Ahhh got some spare denture tabs (camelbak cleaning) & toothpaste to hand, so will try those suggestions first.
    Thanks

greenboy
    Free Member

Use some bio washing powder, mix to a thin paste and brusg over the areas you want cleaned. Leave for an hour and hey presto clean sink!

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Bar Keeper available in ASDA IIRC

sturmeyarcher

Bicarb of soda. Did our this morning and it came up lovely.

You can get silicone mats to protect bottom of the sink. They have them in John Lewis.

hh45
    Free Member

Whilst soaking my camelbak bladder and some bottles I discovered that Miltons tabs do a great job but obviously only as high as you fill the sink. No scrubbing needed – just leave overnight. 2 tabs for one medium size Belfast sink.

jonb
    Free Member

enamel rubber?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cleaning a belfast sink…’ is closed to new replies.