Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Classifieds mistake resoloution- what to do?
  • rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Sold a pair of wheels (which I thought were a pair of Hope Bulbs on 823. Clear photos and wheels were in VGC. £150+ postage.

Just over a fortnight after the buyer receiving them he contacts me saying the rear is not a Bulb, its an XC- which he is right about!

Now, I should have checked but assumed they were a matching pair. However, unsure about how to resolve the situation- I don't have the time to re-sell them just now so would rather not go through the return and refund process, but want to be fair.

The rear hub is an issue as he wants to run a 12mm axle.

Suggestions?

Northwind

Take them back, pay for the return postage, full refund. It's your mistake, up to you to put it right. IMO of course but to me it's the only fair thing to do.

amplebrew

If they were described wrong, I would take them back and give a full refund to the buyer.

finners

afraid Northwind is correct.

toys19
    Free Member

northwind +1

jimmy

ignore them and change your username, emigrate* on the money you made.

*Does Skye count as emigrating?

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Northwind +1.

Happened to me a couple of years ago, sold a "singulator" that I'd honestly thought was a Surly device, long story it wasn't, so refunded buyer, let him keep the device as well as I'd decided that singlespeeding wasn't for me anyway.

Not suggesting you let buyer keep wheel but if he's bought off your description and parts are not as described then it is refund time.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Why are you even asking?
    Its a nobrainer

You fouled up in good faith buy fouled up nevertheless

What did you expect us to say out of interest?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

iamsparticus;

Looking at alternatives as I won't be about to a. receive wheels via post or b. re-sell them.

Not looking to avoid doing the right thing- but the wheels are otherwise ideal for the buyer, and considering the rims are £70 each roughly now, its a lot cheaper than buying new- obvioussly flawed by the hub though!

julianwilson
    Free Member

the wheels are otherwise ideal for the buyer

…depends what the rear dropouts of his frame look like i'd have thought! Unlikely that a 10mm qr hub will go in any frame that wants a 12mm bolt through. From buyer's POV, wehere is he likely to find a matching rear bulb/pro2 hub and get it rebuilt back into the rim without spending some serious money doing so?

scaredypants

relist, hopefully get a buyer soon and ask your original buyer to send on as he's presumably got the box (you refund his postage and original outlay but keep what your next buyer pays) ?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Julian, I know that- long term 12mm user myself on other wheels!

I've suggested buyer has a look for a secondhand bulb hub, and if they find one (and can sell the XC) i'll cover the cost of the wheel rebuild.

uplink
    Free Member

I've suggested buyer has a look for a secondhand bulb hub, and if they find one (and can sell the XC) i'll cover the cost of the wheel rebuild.

TBH – I wouldn't be happy doing that – you're asking the buyer to go to all sorts of trouble to resolve the situation whilst at the same time trying not to put yourself out
    Refund, I'm afraid – if you aren't going to be in get it directed elsewhere

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Resolved.

Buyer happy with partial refund and is going to sell hub. His idea (I did offer full refund)

Added another £10 as goodwill 🙂

scaredypants

Ace

(somebody – clubber maybe? – posted a few times recently asking for a gold Hope rear hub)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Classifieds mistake resoloution- what to do?’ is closed to new replies.