Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Classifieds language
  • kdrugan
    Free Member

If an advert uses phrases like “I don’t think…” or “to the best of my knowledge…”, is that acceptable? Or should the condition of items sold be described in black and white terms?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I would of thought that everything is ‘sold as seen’ and you get what you pay for etc. Unless the seller is deliberately trying to hide a fault (which would be hard to prove) the best of their knowledge is what I’d expect.

convert

I would of thought that everything is ‘sold as seen’ and you get what you pay for etc

I never quite worked out what the phrase ‘sold as seen’ is meant to mean when selling remotely. When selling to someone you physically meet they have a chance to handle and inspect the item so ‘sold as seen’ makes sense – i.e. you actually saw it and accepted the condition it was in at time of purchase, anything you did not spot is your problem. Flowery language use I’d imagine is only there as a get out clause at a later date if something is not right.

kdrugan
    Free Member

Lets say we’re talking cosmetically. To the best of knowledge bearings might be running fine, but might be running dry. Fair enough. BWhat if ‘to the best of knowledge’ an item is unmarked but turns out to be quite the opposite… Oh, and pictures in the ad are misleadingly not of the actual item. For example of course.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Classifieds language’ is closed to new replies.