Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Classifieds etiquette?
  • luked2
    Free Member

If I put an ad on the classifieds, and I then get replies from two people both by email and via the forum, but in reverse order, who should I accept the offer from?

Or doesn't it matter?

Thanks

uplink
    Free Member

I'd take the 1st one to reply to the post as long as he followed it up with an email

wwaswas

paule already seems to acknowledge he's second in line anyway…

jam-bo

first one to come up with some money.

hora
    Free Member

I'd go with the person who replied on your post first.

I've posted of topics before only to find someone cut to the chase. Fine if you say email me if interested on the post itself but if you dont indicate then it should be the first to say yes on thread.

Someone will be along soon all Gordon-Geko like with the 'first to stuff readies in yer pocket though 🙄

hora
    Free Member

I'd take the 1st one to reply to the post as long as he followed it up with an email

Perfectly put. 🙂

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Is this for the BB?

surfer
    Free Member

Uplink +1

hilldodger
    Free Member

who should I accept the offer from?

were 'dibs' mentioned at any stage 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Highest bidder? 😉

mrvear
    Free Member

And if you were charging £2.50 for postage would you then post at 2nd class for £1.62 ? As some one just did to me. I know there is not much in it but it annoys me.

bassspine
    Free Member

mrvear: how much was the envelope?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

And if you were charging £2.50 for postage would you then post at 2nd class for £1.62 ?

If theres packaging costs involved, thats fine. For 88p, if I'd mis-calculated weight I wouldn't offer a refund on a petty amount- but would if asked.

hora
    Free Member

And if you were charging £2.50 for postage would you then post at 2nd class for £1.62 ? As some one just did to me. I know there is not much in it but it annoys me.

Thats crackers to be splitting hairs over that.

luked2
    Free Member

It's for the BB!

I think my fundamental problem here is that I've got waaay too much guilt buried deep in my subconscious. Years of suppressed angst are finally taking their toll.

I think I probably got it wrong and I'll just have to add it to the giant list of things I've got wrong in my life over the years.

Fortunately, on this one the people involved will probably be kind enough to get over it and not worry too much. For the other things I've screwed up on a bigger scale, well, what can I say. I was young and inexperienced in the ways of love. The pain and guilt is still there, but is now just an occasional dull ache.

surfer
    Free Member

Just an anecdote!
    I told an Ebay purchaser that I would not post an item I was selling.
    I insisted on this because it was a low value bulky item which I was almost giving away (I do this because I did not want the item in landfill and thought it could be recycled for another child)
    I insisted again when they asked but they still bid on the item and won.
    I charged them £12 to reflect the fact that I had to package a very bulky item, walk to the post office and pay actual postage, and to reflect the fact that they were thick.
    Although it was still good value for them so maybe not that thick!

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

luked,

Who responded first/who got the bb?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I'd say the contract is formed by email, so in law, the first person to accept your offer by email gets it.

luked2
    Free Member

rocktheegozy – I got your email first. You got the BB!

mrvear
    Free Member

Envelope was used but there was about a quids worth of parcel tape. Not the 88p that annoys me, its the time its taken to get here. In my experience the difference between 1st and 2nd class postage prices is very little. I always post at 1st class as I think folk appreciate it, then again I could be wrong.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

I know 😉 Just curious as to why the question re. etiquette- I didn't reply on the forum since you said 'email in profile'

Drac

And if you were charging £2.50 for postage would you then post at 2nd class for £1.62 ?

Plus the packaging and who fekn cares about 88p

luked2
    Free Member

Yes, you're right. I think I just worry too much! Now – what's your address?

surfer
    Free Member

Luked. I expect you will be donning the "hair shirt" for today? 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

That's worth another thread by itself.

88p to package something an spend half and hour walking to the post office and queueing seems like good value to me.

luked2
    Free Member

Surfer, I've already been listening to mood-altering Aaron Copeland on R3. That's bad enough that if I don't go for a bike ride pretty soon I'll end up crawling under a rock and hiding for the Rest of My Life…

So don't you start poking and prodding trying to make my complexes even more complex!

uplink
    Free Member

I always charge postage at cost, guesstimate it & refund any change
    I would never charge for packaging as I'd never buy it & I certainly wouldn't factor in walking to the PO as that costs me nothing

chakaping
    Free Member

I would never charge for packaging as I'd never buy it & I certainly wouldn't factor in walking to the PO as that costs me nothing

I wouldn't either. But I wouldn't complain about it if somebody else did.

In fact, I tend to ignore adverts where somebody specifies a price, "plus postage" and only deal with people who give a price "posted".

geoffj

In fact, I tend to ignore adverts where somebody specifies a price, "plus postage" and only deal with people who give a price "posted".

+1

mrvear
    Free Member

Wish i never mentioned it now.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Forums first, as then everyone gets to see the order that people replied in. Choosing whoever emails you first isn't as fair IMO.

As for posted/+postage, I too would avoid any without the postage specifically stated.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

whats the etiquette for this then…

i have a high value object to sell. i'll be asking £800 ONO for it.

email 1 comes in quick and offers £750
    email 2 comes in maybe 10 hours later offering the full £800

i want to take the £800 cos its the most, but it is a lot later than the other.

should i honor the 1st email? or go for the best offer and tell email 1 that they offered too little?

Drac

should i honor the 1st email? or go for the best offer and tell email 1 that they offered too little?

Depends if you think £750 is a good enough offer.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

hungry monkey, had you replied to/accpeted the offer in email 1?

If not, i'd let emailer 1 know someone has committed the full amount, and you'd like to give them first refusal at that price.

I'd also rather sell the item for £750 to a buyer I trust/is a regular than a £800 stranger.

wwaswas

If you've accepted the £750 offer then you've committed to that.

If someone didn't offer full asking and you hadn't agreed then accepting the 2nd asking price offer is fine.

geoffj

whats the etiquette for this then…

i have a high value object to sell. i'll be asking £800 ONO for it.

email 1 comes in quick and offers £750
    email 2 comes in maybe 10 hours later offering the full £800

i want to take the £800 cos its the most, but it is a lot later than the other.

You shouldn't be taking 10 hours to respond to an offer, but if you do, you stick to what you have said either:
    a) Yes please send me the cash now; or
    b) No thanks; or
    c) Mmmmmm let me think about it and get back to you, in which case you take offer in email 2

It's not really that difficult, but you can end up looking like a twunt if you aren't careful.

The worst, and what some folk on here does, is to not reply at all for 24 hours and see what other offers come in. In that instance, timing of the replies is ignored.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Do it all on the forum so others can see the bidding increase, this'll help you too as you won't get loads of below-par bids.

Mark

If I'd got in there first with an offer of £1 would you be bothering about who emailed first?

You can choose whoever you want to sell to.

Drac

If I'd got in there first with an offer of £1 would you be bothering about who emailed first?

You tight bastard.

surfer
    Free Member

I think its just a case of being clear and honest.
    Many people cant sit and watch the forum, others can.
    In the example above with a high value item it would be fair to say to bidder 1 that I would like to wait a bit longer. What if the bid was £200? It would then be fair to wait a reasonable (?) period for better offers then maybe say not enough has been bid the item is no longer for sale.
    Not so much hard and fast rules just a bit of fairness.
    Ref the question on who responds first then I think the one who posts on the forum (not necessarily E:mail) should get first dibs. However if no E:mail in a reasonable time then the next person.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Classifieds etiquette?’ is closed to new replies.