Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Classifieds Dilemma :O
  • Jammy111
    Free Member

So i’ve recently listed my hope m4 brakes. Two buyers were interested and one from abroad said he would pay me yesterday night, but didn’t and so I told the other buyer that he could have them.

Buyer no.2 has now paid for the brakes so I sent buyer 1 an email saying they are no longer for sale. However just had an email from buyer 1 saying he has already bought rotors/mounts this morning and now won’t have any brakes to pair them with.

I feel sorry for buyer one as he did say he would pay for them, just didn’t do it when he said he would. Was what I did correct? Should I refund buyer 2 his payment and proceed with buyer 1???

Opinions?

timc
    Free Member

did you not chase the first guy up?

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Buyer 1 could have emailed to let you know there was a delay. Effectively he didn’t keep his end up so I don’t see you’ve done anythng wrong.

Liftman

Money talks, whoever comes up with the readies first gets the goods, person 1 ( he ain’t the buyer till he pays ) didnt pay as agreed so you sold to the next guy, don’t beat yourself up about it.

timc
    Free Member

Buyer 1 clearly a retard, but dont see the harm in chasing him up before flogging elsewere, unless your desperate

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I agree if you say you’ll pay straight away and don’t well that’s the buyers fault.

I assume it was paypal which is pretty instant so no real excuse.

You’ve got dosh in you pocket so to speak – move on.

buyer1 puts up a wanted ad for Hope M4’s they maybe some more out there someone will sell.

highclimber
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry about it. you didn’t tell him to go buy the other parts before he’d paid for yours! he’s the idiot for not letting you know sooner!

theotherjonv

Facts: what liftman said.

However, in a similar situation in the past I’ve emailed B2 back and asked him to decide if he wants the item that badly or is happy to take a refund and a pile of karma points instead. If he wants the item, he gets it, otherwise not.

emac65
    Free Member

So buyer #1 wouldn’t pay up till he knew he could get rotors & mounts,even though he said he would pay straight away…..
    It’s his own fault then….

Jammy111
    Free Member

cheers folks, appears i’ve done the right thing then. just sent this to buyer 1:

Hi XXX,

If I can direct you to this thread it will explain what has happened: http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/classifieds-dilemma-o

Im sorry about what has happened, but I’m going to stick with selling to the other buyer. I don’t think its fair either for you to ‘outbid’ the other buyer, as this isn’t really in the spirit of the classifieds. I am also sorry for the white lie telling you that I had decided to keep them instead of selling.

As one of the members has suggested if you put up a ‘wanted’ add you will probably be able to source another set very soon.

Regards,
    James

On 1 Aug 2011, at 16:17, XXX wrote:

Hi James

Im sad to hear that as I just ordered rotors and adaptors from the UK this morning.
    If someone gave you a better price please let me know, then ill try to raise the funds to outbid him.

thanks

XXX

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I would have waited a bit longer for buyer one to pay. You agreed to sell them he agreed to pay. I’d consider that a done deal at that point.

another one off my list of folk to deal with

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

this isn’t really in the spirit of the classifieds

Yeh! classifieds spirit n all that. If the buyer cant pay straight away, immediately sell it to someone else!

jordie
    Free Member

cash i your pocket not being strung along.If buyer 1 wanted them then buy the brakes first then the mounting stuff

smell_it
    Free Member

Buyer 1 at fault, he didn’t do as he said, I don’t know why some folk on here want to be so accommodating of the thick.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

But if you waited for B1 to pay up and he changed his mind and B2 had subsequently source his product elsewhere you have lost out on both sales. B1 should have contacted you to explain/apologise for delay then maybe I would wait a bit longer. I really wouldn’t break a sweat over this one!!!

grum
    Free Member

I would have waited a bit longer for buyer one to pay.

+1

emac65
    Free Member

You agreed to sell them he agreed to pay. I’d consider that a done deal at that point

Yes he agreed to pay,last night & then didn’t ! Didn’t send any email to say why the payment was delayed either.Doesn’t cost anything to send an email now does it……

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Doesn’t cost anything to send an email now does it……

Nor does a bit of patience. Thank the bejeesus I’ve dealt with the buyers and sellers I have dealt with…it’s always been a pleasure. Is there any such thing as a gentleman’s agreement anymore?

khani
    Free Member

I did this, I sorted it out and learned a lesson
    Patience is a virtue n’everyfing n’all that…

clubber
    Free Member

just collect the money from both and flip a coin to decide which one to actually send the brake to. kerching 🙂

Lifer
    Free Member

A bit hasty I think, would have at least sent an email saying ‘I’ve got other people interested let me know asap if you’re still having these’

Junkyard
    Free Member

can see both views tbh but I would have chased with an e-mail telling them about buyer 2 and giving them a deadline.
    I would have told buyer 2 this as well.
    You may have lost a sale doing this so I can see why you took th emoney but an e-mail would have been better IMHO

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

I’ve got a similar problem as we speak. Guy said he would buy something off Bikeradar if I’d do it for a specific price, which I agreed to and let him know. No response, no funds in Paypal and another bloke has offered me the same amount. By the looks of the response’s on here I think I’ll mail the first guy and give him until tomorrow to pay, then offer it to the other guy if he hasn’t 😉

RichPenny
    Free Member

I’m another one who would have waited tbh. I also think its a bit rude calling someone stupid because they’ve failed to do something exactly on time. He might have a good reason for the delay, or he could just be a bit slack. Clearly being slack isn’t great if you’re doing business with someone but I think I’d forgive a day of poor communication.

Woody
    Free Member

So buyer 1 had enough time to buy (and presumably pay for) rotors and mounts but not enough time to pay you for the brakes at the time he promised.

IMO opinion you did the right thing selling to someone who actually paid you when they said they would. You could have been on the merry-go-round of emails before you know it and end up with no sale at all……and I speak from several recent experiences 👿

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Classifieds Dilemma :O’ is closed to new replies.