Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • classic British tourers, anyone use one?
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I have a 1980s British Eagle (531ST) with old-school running gear – but haven’t a clue how I plan to set it up yet, or how much to safely rag it off the beaten track . Looking for inspiration here before I head over to the Places With More Beards 😉

Edric64
    Free Member

Tourer and ragging off the beaten track ? Should be ok I rode a mid 90s Dawes Galaxy on the 3 peaks twice without breaking it .

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think the tubing guages from those days can be noodly with a loaded front end, but they work!

Nipper99
    Free Member

I just bought a 1960s Holdsworth Mistral frame. It was set up ss with forward facing sliding dropouts from new (SA 3 speed hub so i’m told). Frame builder local to me is going to replace the dropouts so I can run gears and cold set the frame so I can run 130mm modern hubs (currently 111).

531 is pretty forgiving so should be able to deal with a bit of rough stuff.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Could be wrong but I think 531 ST (super tourist) frames have thicker gauge down tubes? However – the camping load I typically carry makes even my cromo M-Trax squirm at the back so thinking a more balanced load (ie more up front would help) but have no idea about front racks for bikes without midway braze-ons on the forks.

This thread needs dirty tourist pics…

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Well, after a first spin it feels bomproof leaping off kerbs so that’s good enough for me, certainly moreso than the Dahon folder it replaced 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

It’s not that different from my mid nineties Roberts.

Steel touring bikes are super comfy, if needs be fit some wider tyres if you are planning on laden off road touring.

I thought mine would be irreplaceable until I bought a Vaya.

Boblo is your man, I think he has something similar.

bensales
    Free Member

My Dad does about 20k miles a year all over the world on a 1990s build Mercian 531 tourer.

Steel is real 🙂

Edric64
    Free Member

I battered an 80s Holdsworth tourer round the long route of the real Leroica in Italy with no problem and thats bloomin rough in places

epicyclo

Malvern Rider – Member
    I have a 1980s British Eagle (531ST) with old-school running gear – but haven’t a clue how I plan to set it up yet, or how much to safely rag it off the beaten track . Looking for inspiration here before I head over to the Places With More Beards

Being from that era (actually earlier 🙂 ) I did all my early mountain biking on a dropbar lugged lightweight racer.

The biggest problem was the alloy wheels were a lot more fragile – easily buckled. I got round that by using steel rims which looked really out of place – a bit like sticking Transit wheels on a Ferrari. So if you are using a more modern wheelset, especially a cyclocross, you’re unlikely to have trouble.

The greatest fear was snapping the forks at the lower headrace, especially if your forks were lightweight. We used to stuff a bit of ash up the steerer tube to help prevent that.

The problem being that once your fork was stiffer, a decent impact would go into the frame and crease the top and down tube.

I managed to avoid ever damaging my bike, but it probably explains my wheels on the ground at all times riding style. 🙂

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

We used to stuff a bit of ash up the steerer

Ah, the old Wiccan fork charm? But seriously, wahgwan?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘classic British tourers, anyone use one?’ is closed to new replies.