Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Clarify something for me: Shared use paths
  • chambord
    Free Member

On a shared use path near me, there is a clearly marked cycling part, and a clearly marked pedestrian part. And it’s here, right in the middle of this google map, on the Fallowfield loop line.

Am I right in thinking that these markings are just there to suggest how one might use the path, and it’s not true that for instance a pedestrian walking on the cycling bit is breaking the rules? I can’t find the answer I’m looking for on Google so sorry if this is a daft question.

Thanks.

ampthill

From the sustrans website

A code of conduct for cyclists

Cyclists tend to be the fastest movers on these paths, but the paths aren’t suitable for high speeds so it’s important to keep cycling speed under control. Remember that they are for sharing, not for speeding. If you wish to travel quickly, train for fitness or record personal best times, this is better done on quiet roads.

Following this code of conduct will ensure that everyone can benefit from shared paths:

Give way to pedestrians and wheelchair users;
    Take care around horse-riders, leaving them plenty of room, especially when approaching from behind;
    Be courteous and patient with pedestrians and other path users who are moving more slowly than you – shared paths are for sharing, not speeding;
    Cycle at a sensible speed and do not use the paths for recording times with challenge apps or for fitness training;
    Slow down when space is limited or if you cannot see clearly ahead;
    Be particularly careful at junctions, bends, entrances onto the path, or any other ‘blind spots’ where people (including children) could appear in front of you without warning;
    Keep to your side of any dividing line;
    Carry a bell and use it, or an audible greeting, to avoid surprising people or horses;
    However, don’t assume people can see or hear you – remember that many people are hard of hearing or visually impaired;
    In dull and dark weather make sure you have lights so you can be seen.
    Tips for other path users

Keep your dog under control;
    Keep to your side of any dividing line.

vincienup
    Free Member

I believe the division is ‘advisory’, and only really there in recognition that the Great British Public don’t really do ‘shared’ when it means someone else might want to use the same space as them.

And that’s a generalisation of all of us, not a dig at any particular use group. Clearly some people can share and play nice.

iolo
    Free Member

On a non marked shared path, which side should you ride your bike on?
    Is there a rule or is it a case of go anywhere you want.

vincienup
    Free Member

Non marked, and I’ll default left, but not to the point of riding into people. If I have to ride a line I’d rather not, so be it.

I’m pretty sure there’s advice somewhere to stay left if possible, but as carry over from road custom it just seems to make sense and crucially lets people have an idea of what you’re likely to do next.

chambord
    Free Member

Thanks ampthill, that’s what I was after, and vincien that’s what I assumed.

Some charming fellow rode up quickly behind a couple of ladies who were walking up the cycling bit today and shouted “OI!” when he was about 2 foot behind them, thus startling them. I told him it was shared use and he said they shouldn’t be on the cycling bit. What a lovely chap.

Anyway I just wanted to know he was definitely in the wrong (Not just obviously in the wrong for being unnecessarily rude)

ampthill

(Not just obviously in the wrong for being unnecessarily rude)

😆

miketually
    Free Member

As I understand the rules, pedestrians can walk on either side but cyclists must stay in the bike side.

julianwilson
    Free Member

There are a few shared use paths near me where there is a proper kerb in the middle, where the pavement is supposed to be the pavement, and the lower level half is the ‘road’. By and large both cyclists and pedestrians seem to get this. i walk and ride these at least twice a day i seldom see anyone on the ‘wrong’ side, but the other one nearby where there is a sort of kerb between sides but both paths are the same level as each other seems not to have the same level of ‘lane discipline’ from both sets of users.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Clarify something for me: Shared use paths’ is closed to new replies.