• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Alex.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Clamping bike in workstand
  • thorpey0
    Free Member

Just got a bike with reverb stealth, previously it was just a case of clamping my bike by the seatpost but I don’t want to do that with the reverb. Where do people clamp who have a reverb stealth? Is it easy to swap the reverb out for a cheapo post when I want it in the stand…?

frogstomp

Slide the post up a bit and clamp it on the lower, inserted bit.

oldschool

I just clamp it around the Reverb when I’m working on my bike. Unless the seat post is all the way into the frame you don’t need to clamp to the sliding section. If you do then stick a rag around it.

thorpey0
    Free Member

So clamping it to the ‘outer’ is ok? Better than clamping it to the Top or Down tube?

GolfChick
    Free Member

I have an Andy stand that negates this problem so that’s what I do!

thegreatape
    Free Member

I clamp my bike lightly on the top tube, if the work I’m doing requires it – for cleaning and so on I just rest it on the lower part of the clamp.

legend
    Free Member

GolfChick – Member
    I have an Andy stand that negates this problem so that’s what I do!
    POSTED 18 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Handy for some things, but of touching wheels, fork, suspension, gears, etc you’ll be wanting a proper workstand

oldschool

So clamping it to the ‘outer’ is ok?

It’s all the seat clamp does. It’ll be reet.

andyl
    Free Member

I just clamp around the top cap and any remaining post between it and the frame. Nice big chunk of aluminium that resists crushing.

Superficial
    Free Member

So clamping it to the ‘outer’ is ok?

Yes. It’s what the manual suggests.

thorpey0
    Free Member

It seemed to work ok 😀

Cheers folks!

One point on the reverb, it takes quite a bit of ‘arse pressure’ to move it down, is that normal? Would bleeding it make it more smooth? Any tips on this new bit of kit greatly received. Ta

andyl
    Free Member

It could need a bleed if its not fully opening the valve.

Failing that eat more pies 🙂

BoardinBob

Cut up inner tube around the stealth post top section. Clamp gently

thorpey0
    Free Member

More pies, that works awesome idea Andy 😆

Alex

I prefer to clamp on the outer. As ^^^ above if you’re clamping on the shaft (!) then a rag or old inner tube is a good idea. Luckily my reverb has enough slack in the cable (inside the frame) that I can pop it up a couple of inches meaning there is enough outer for the whole clamp.

I’ve heard a few people say clamping tubes can be a bit dangerous (as they are very thin in places), so I never do it.

Oh and I loved my AndyStand for just simple maint until it didn’t fit the narrower hole on my new RF turbines. That’s a bit irritating.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Clamping bike in workstand’ is closed to new replies.