Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Claiming for stolen bike?
  • alanl
    Free Member

I’ve had the misfortune to have my bike stolen yet again from my garage.
    It was taken in May from a pretty unsecure garage (put a screwdriver in the lock, and it would turn).
    Anyway, the thick thieves were eventually caught, and I got it back a month or so later.
    The scumbags got a year sentence for their mini-crime wave, and were released in mid October.
    Now I’ve been broken into again, this time they smashed a small window (20″ x 12″), got in through there, and got the bike out somehow. The 2 doors are really secure, so nothing will get them open without making a lot of noise.

Anyway, despite telling the Police that the offender have been out 3 weeks, and they know what I have in my garage, they wont give them a visit, or do anything as there is no evidence!
    Annoyed is a mild word I’d use for their attitude.

Anyway to the case in point. The bike is a custom build Rock Lobster. I’ll be putting in a claim to the Insurers, to see if there is any likelihood they’ll pay out, which I’m sure they will try to get out of.
    So, what is the value?
    The cost of a 2nd hand one from ebay, or the price of the components new today?
    And has anyone claimed on their house insurance for a bike pinched from a locked garage? And how did they get on?

Ta
    Alan
    (oh, and keep a look out for a red 853 hardtail Rock Lobster in the Leicester area)

atlaz
    Free Member

Depends on your insurance. I assume yours is old for new rather than like for like?

andy7t2
    Free Member

i’ve claimed twice, depends if your insurance covers out building and if you have an old for new policy. Give them a call and they will tell you in minutes if there willing to pay out

starsh78
    Free Member

my insurance shelled out 3200 for my 2004 stolen bike

jp-t853

I had a 1998 853 framed bike stolen in 2005, I claimed £975 as I reckoned I could build a new one for that. The insurance company told me the assessor had valued it at £1400 if they custom built one for me. If I wanted cash they would give me £1050. I would claim full retail value.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

depends on your insurance company.

I told mine correctly what the bike was an what componentry was on it – 20 yr old marin frame, decent forks, xtr 1×9 etc – I was offered £1000 worth of bike to replace it

alanl
    Free Member

Just got off the phone to the Insurers (Churchill), and it appears that I am covered, but have to pay the first £200 as an excess.
    They don’t deal with the claim themselves, but pass it to a Assessor, who will contact me tomorrow to make an appointment. In the meantime I am to get a few estimates of what it will take to replace. or build up, so it looks like I may be able to buy new parts and build up the same bike, minus £200.
    Thats pretty good news, certainly better than expected, but it still riles me to know I’ve been broken into twice in 6 months, probably by the same scumbags.

Ta for the pointers
    Alan.

mattp
    Free Member

alanl – suggest you make some bars or a grill for the window…

alanl
    Free Member

Bars were put up yesterday. Now the only way in is through the corrugated cement/asbestos roof.I’ve put in a portable alarm today.
    They got into a garage down the road from me doing that earlier this year. They are that thick, that when they saw a pool table in that garage, they knew they couldnt get it out of the roof, so the cut the legs off to try and get it through. Of course, it still wouldnt fit, so they scarpered, ruining a £2000 table doing it.
    I’m just hoping they get caught again, then they may go down for more than a few months.
    Alan.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you know they’ll be back, keep the bike in a bike bag in your house?

Empty the garrage of anything of value/you need then rig up paint bombs 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

trip-wire & paint bomb?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Claiming for stolen bike?’ is closed to new replies.