Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • CK ISO hubs & freezing temps
  • johnny63

Anyone had any problems with the freewheel just spinning out in these temperatures? Has happened to me last two rides and was just wondering if it is a temperature thing or a fault with the hub? Back in the house, it worked fine again.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I had the same problem with my CK singlespeed hub last winter in freezing temps. When I stripped it I found water had got in, probably past the bearing tension collar on the non drive side as this does not have it's own seal. Last autumn I stripped, cleaned and regreased the hub again in preparation and it's been fine since.
    I'd say an annual service is essential on these hubs which is a bit disappointing really considering the cost of them.

Weeing on it works as a short term fix!

johnny63

Thanks for that MB – one of the guys last night suggested that it could be some water freezing in it, so sounds like he was right. Will service it and see how it goes after that.

Johnny

kinger

sure sounds like bit of water in there but probably doesn't need full service that requires the King hub tool – just pull apart yourself and wipe through the hub. Only takes 5 mins to keep them super sweet 🙂

johnny63

Cheers for info Stu

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

happened to me last year too.

sheldona
    Free Member

a few of mine had the same issues over the last couple of weeks. I stripped them down cleaned them up and relubed the ring drive with 7.5wt suspension oil, cured the problems!

thekingofsweden

Same here same prob used a ptfe lube we have at work its fine now 😀

witty.name
    Free Member

Mines froze up at the mo.I had to go out on the geared bike yesterday {also a ck hub,but working}.I dont trust myself to take it to pieces,it'll only end in tears.So ive put the wheel in the house to warm up instead.

Dibbs
    Free Member

CK recommend a minor service every 3 months in wet/muddy conditions, and there's also some stuff on their website about what lube to use in cold conditions.

njee20
    Free Member

Sorry… why are King hubs so amazing!?

I also had to do mine in winter. Never again.

righty
    Free Member

Sorry… why are King hubs so amazing!?

cos they last forever and are dead easy to service 🙄

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘CK ISO hubs & freezing temps’ is closed to new replies.