Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Citroen C5 estate, (new shape) any good?
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

or a french pile of c**p.

I don’t normally have much time for french cars but the Citroen looks nice….

looks good, costs not much, diesel engine will be good etc etc..

If I get one, i need to keep it for 5 years and it will need to do 150,000 miles. with no breakdowns but it will be treated to regular proper servicing and tame driving.

shooterman

I had a C5 saloon as a courtesy car while my car was being serviced. Very, very comfortable to drive. Handling not as sharp as the 3 series.

I spotted the price – nearly £19k and I just couldn’t justify spending that on a citroen. Passat estate would be good for that money.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

For that milage, get a Passat or a V70.

The Citroen is a great car, for many things. A friend has one to tow his dinghies, but only really on short trips. Handling is poor, boot is cavernous, build quality is poor.

aP
    Free Member

Its a big cheap-ish car. Citroen won’t be bought by the Russians or Chinese any time this century. Does anyone (apart from IT nerds) buy a car like this for it’s ‘handling’?
    If you like it, get a good deal, buy it – if not don’t.

twunt
    Free Member

woudn’t buy a new one cos they depreciate like nothing else but that it an excellent 2nd hand buy if you plan on keeping it..

aP
    Free Member

Remember that when buying a cheap-ish car that depreciation hurts a great deal less than with an expensive car.

Gary_C

i need to keep it for 5 years and it will need to do 150,000 miles. with no breakdowns

😯
    Definitely don’t get a Citroen then!

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

I had one of the first shape C5 estates, it was hands down the worst car I have ever had the misfortune of owning.

Its a horribily long story but the gist of it is that in three years it broke down over 10 times until eventually it was off the road for 8 weeks with no courtesy car and no compentsation.

The new ones may be a lot better but after the nightmare I had with both the car and the dealership I can never see myself buying another Citreon of any model.

freakcrab
    Free Member

The new C5 seems to be trying alot harder in terms of build quality than the old, should be very much improved.
    For my money it would be either the Passat or Mondeo. I like the Citroen and I belive it will be reliable, but I’d like other people to prove it’s reliable before I consider it.
    Why oh why don’t Skoda do a Superb estate?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Why oh why don’t Skoda do a Superb estate?

It’s coming

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I bought a C5 estate on here in January. I’ve done 11k miles in it, just passed its MOT with no repairs. Huge inside. I was wary of Citroen’s reliability, but I doubt they are any worse than anything else. Great used buy.

My old XM was bought for £600. I did 60k miles in it. Drove it to the South of France from Fife a couple of times without missing a beat.

Timmo
    Free Member

the newer later C5’s are a great improvement over the original ones! my mech who’s citroen trained (was doing his apprenticeship whn my car went through the dealers for its PDdfI check in 1990!) will wanrt anyone of the early ones! but the later models are much better!
    french deisels are renouned for loving the milage,
    as said, get a good deal then go for it! if not have a nose at the skoda estate, all it is a a properly priced Vw!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Citroen C5 estate, (new shape) any good?’ is closed to new replies.