• This topic has 8 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by ski.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Circut training?
  • ski
    Free Member

Never considered it before, but there is a session run at the same time my little one does her Karate class at my local sports centre, so rather than sat around waiting for my little one, I am thinking of getting a sneaky training session in as well.

Does anyone do a regular session? Have you found it to benifit your riding since you started? I guess it depends on the instructor and how its set up as to what you can get out of a session?

Is a weekly session enough to make a difference?

Any advice?

cheers.

beaker

I did circuit training twice a week for 6 months several years ago and found it sorted my fitness out no end. It wasn't bike specific but anything that get the heart and lungs working has to be good? I found I worked a lot harder having someone shouting at me. Why not give it a go and see what you think?

Philby

I do it on a reasonably regular basis. Find it improves my overall fitness and stamina and also good for the upper body which cycling neglects.

A weekly session will make a difference depending on how much you push yourself, though may take you a month or so before you notice it.

toby1

Classes vary loads, and one session a week you probably won't notice a massive difference. But I've been doing it for years and it's good for core fitness and strength and overall fitness, plus is usually quite good fun. If you'd only be sitting around anyway then I think it's a great idea 🙂

flip
    Free Member

Do it, it'll probably do you in for a few times if it's a 'proper' class, but stick with it and get competitive 😛

sobriety
    Free Member

I used to do it twice a week, was absolute murder for the first few weeks, but it made me so fit. Was proper funny when the rugby boys (it was at a uni gym) would try to compete with the regulars on their first session…

KonaTC

Until a recent illness I did circuits every lunch time, a 45 min session which was a mixture of cardio, upper body, and leg exercises and as beaker said having someone shouting at you works for me as well.

Recently started a circuit’s class Monday evening with body pump (overload class with weights) on Wednesdays and it is making a difference already. Noticed that my weekend rides are a little easier, when I can find a Pilates class I will be adding it to my programme

As ever start slow: one class a week for a month or so and work on correct technique and form for the exercises before loading up weights and speed

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I knocked cycling on the head in October last year and tbh put a load of weight on untill i started circuits in January. Since then i have been gradually getting stronger and stronger.

In terms of myself, well i had my best session yet last night. Its usually between 1-1.5hrs and last nights 1hr session was the first one i have done where i have completed the 3-4sets of press ups within the circuit. Sounds easy but on the 3rd set my arms in the past just couldnt take it. Last night they felt strong.

The other good thing i have found is that you get out what you put in. If you are not mega fit you can still train beside someone who is without any troubles.

Got my bike with me today so will find out what 6mths off the bike has done to me…..

ski
    Free Member

Sounds like its worth doing then, thanks for the info.

The mixed group that does it look like they are in my age bracket too (40's), which is a bonus.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Circut training?’ is closed to new replies.